Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location Services - DDActionsService??

I stumbled across a random thing in my privacy - location services. I see all my normal apps listed but also have something called DDActionsService. The app logo is blank and when I googled to get more information I can't find a single thread about this. I only pull up info about programming for iOS or jailbreaking iOS. Does anyone know what this is?

I'm on an iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3, not jailbroken.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 4, 2015 9:49 AM

7 replies

Oct 13, 2015 7:15 AM in response to Dustin Edgeman

Hey! I finally figured out what DDActionsService is!

The "DD" in DDActionsService stands for "Data Detectors". Data detectors are an old feature that date back to the days of Mac OS 8.5. But now Apple is trying to re-market them as a new thing in iOS.

Basically, what they do is they "detect data" from plain text. For example, when you text someone, or simply type certain words anywhere, like "tomorrow @ 4:00", those words will get underlined & turn blue. That will allow you to tap on those words to perform a certain task. In the case given, it will prompt the calendar app to open with the "create an event" screen set to the time of "tomorrow at 4:00". Data detectors are embedded throughout the whole of iOS, and the user can use them in loads of different ways which I'm not gonna bother to list.

Normally, they just run in the background & are un-editable to the user... Except in Location Services within the Settings app. There, you have the choice to allow data detectors to detect certain words that will display location data or not. So, if you have "DDActionsService" turned on in Location Services, you will be able to type an address or something & have that text get underlined & turn blue. And then when you tap on it, it'll display that address in the Maps app.

But, I'm not sure if "DDActionsService" is even supposed to be visible within Location Services in the first place. It is visible on my device, though. I know if you jailbreak your device, you can tinker more with DDActionsService stuff. So, my theory is through some glitch of un-jailbreaking your device, that one bit of DDActionsService stayed visible for some reason.

I hope this clears the air on "DDActionsService" for everyone!

-Alex

Location Services - DDActionsService??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.