Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime not letting me sign in - hanging on login screen

I have been trying - and failing - to sign into Facetime on my Mac.

The login screen appears, with my Apple ID entered, but when I type my password nothing further happens. Even more curious is that when I typed the wrong password deliberately, it recognised it as incorrect. When I type the correct password, however, the progress wheel spins but ultimately to no avail.

I've tried all the usual steps, switching off and back on, resetting PRAM and signing out of my Apple account on settings, but no luck yet. My Apple ID is verified and has been in use for years now, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Hardware: MacBook Pro Retina 15" (Early 2013) 2.7Ghz i7

Any advice on this would be much appreciated, thanks.

Posted on May 4, 2015 10:08 AM

1 reply

May 5, 2015 9:12 AM in response to Endeem

1. Launch the Messages application and sign in to iMessage with the same Apple ID, if you're not already signed in. If you get an alert telling you to contact Apple, follow the instructions in the message. According to reports, you won't be charged for the support call if you select "Apple ID"—not the hardware model—as the product you're asking about, and cite the "customer code" in the alert as the "validation code" when you speak to the Apple representative.

2. Open the iCloud preference pane and sign in to iCloud with the same Apple ID you for FaceTime. If you usually sign in to iCloud with a different ID, you'll have to sign out first. In that case, read this support article.

Facetime not letting me sign in - hanging on login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.