Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The song could not be used

I just upgraded iTunes at the opening prompt. Now I have this little exclamation point in a circle that says "The song could not be used because the original file could not be found." This is in over half of the songs in my iTunes library. I need to hook up my iPod to recharge it, but I'm afraid that all the songs with the error message will be deleted from my iPod. Is there a way to globally locate all these songs? Note that in the previous version of iTunes, none of the songs had this error message. All of my songs are in the My Music directory.

I'm running Windows 7 professional on an Intel platform.

TIA for any help.

Cheers!

Paul

Homebrew PC

Posted on May 4, 2015 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2015 1:49 PM

Hello there, Paul.

It can certainly be unnerving to find that songs aren't being located in iTunes that were there earlier. The following Knowledge Base article offers up some practical steps for resolving the issue you're seeing with the exclamation point in iTunes:

If you see an exclamation point next to content in iTunes - Apple Support

Depending on the type of iPod you have, if you need to charge it before you can resolve the iTunes issue, try plugging it directly to a source other than your computer by referencing the information here:

Charge your iPhone and iPod touch - Apple Support

Charging the battery in your iPod nano - Apple Support

iPod shuffle: How to charge the battery - Apple Support

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2015 1:49 PM in response to Paul Veltman

Hello there, Paul.

It can certainly be unnerving to find that songs aren't being located in iTunes that were there earlier. The following Knowledge Base article offers up some practical steps for resolving the issue you're seeing with the exclamation point in iTunes:

If you see an exclamation point next to content in iTunes - Apple Support

Depending on the type of iPod you have, if you need to charge it before you can resolve the iTunes issue, try plugging it directly to a source other than your computer by referencing the information here:

Charge your iPhone and iPod touch - Apple Support

Charging the battery in your iPod nano - Apple Support

iPod shuffle: How to charge the battery - Apple Support

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

The song could not be used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.