Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change default paragraph style in Pages

I'm fairly new to Pages for Mac (I have version 5.5.3), but experienced in page layout generally. I have created a template for a client in which I have created a number of specific paragraph styles. Whenever I create a new text box within this template, Pages applies one of the Header paragraph styles that I created, but the client (understandably) would prefer to have the Body Text paragraph style be the default whenever she creates a new text box. I cannot figure out how to do this. I've tried reorganizing the order of the paragraph styles, but that did not work. Your help is much appreciated.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 4, 2015 11:39 AM

7 replies

May 4, 2015 2:04 PM in response to darkmatterknits

I would not be using Pages 5.5.3 for a DTP Layout template for a client.

You can not do most DTP tasks such as Facing Pages or linking text boxes, it will become very confusing and frustrating for the client.

But anyway, why are you not handling this with Placeholder text in preformed Textboxes within your design?

Also I have just tested this and I get Body as the default text Style when I create a Textbox. Even after saving as a template and reopening it.

Peter

May 4, 2015 2:06 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I wasn't asking for a critique of my design choices. I have very particular reasons for making the choices that I've made (the client wants to lay out her knitting patterns in Pages because that is the software she is accustomed to; she is quite familiar with Pages; the layout needs to be flexible, so I cannot use preformed textboxes, etc.).

I'm glad to hear that you get Body as the default text style when you create a textbox. However, I do not.

Sorry to be snippy, but this is precisely the reason I am always hesitant to pose questions on this forum. It's really frustrating when people use this as a forum for establishing a professional pecking order instead of assuming the poster might have some semblance of a clue.

May 5, 2015 4:52 AM in response to darkmatterknits

It was not a criticism of your design choices. You have misread my comments, I am simply warning you from long experience. We have no idea of what you do or don't know, most people who come here have little and it is safer to assume they have none.

Creating a Textbox, which is randomly sized and placed and contains no text, is not dissimilar to having a Textbox already in the document with Placeholder text in it that you click on and it is replaced by whatever you type. If your client is quite familiar with Pages they must be familiar with using Placeholders and with duplicating and resizing objects as required. It is just a way of getting around your problem.

Obviously you have done something else, or you would not be getting the results you have. I keep my version of Pages 5.5.3 as installed for testing, I don't know what you have done that is different and can't tell without having the file.

If you want me to look, email me via my blue name. If not, that's fine too.

Peter

May 5, 2015 6:50 AM in response to Yellowbox

That's an excellent suggestion, thank you—though I think I've figured out both where I went wrong and how to fix it, so let me share it here in case someone else encounters the same issue:

I'm used to working in InDesign, where you can name styles anything you like and then easily set any one of them as the default for new objects. So I had deleted all of the default styles in my Pages document and had created new styles with names that I knew would make more sense to my client. Peter's remarks gave me the essential clue: because I'd deleted the software's default Body style, it defaulted to the first new style I created (which was not the body text style).

Changing the name of my body text style to "Body" didn't trick Pages into thinking it was its default paragraph style, so instead I created a new text box, changed the text inside to my body text paragraph style, and then with the text box (not the text inside, but the box itself) selected, I clicked Format > Advanced > Set as Default Text Box Appearance. And now every new text box uses my body text style as the default.

And Peter, I get that many people on the forum are beginners and it's safest to assume the poster has minimal information at their disposal. I also get that tone doesn't convey very well online. However, I did mention that I am experienced in page layout, and I think the syntax of my question indicated that I am not a total noob. I appreciate your wanting to offer advice—from the number of posts you've made you are clearly very generous with your time and expertise. It's not so much the offering of advice beyond the scope of my question that rankled me, but rather its tone. ("I wouldn't do this..." "Why are you doing that..." "What you are doing will cause your client frustration.")

Thank you for offering to look at my files and to help me anyway, and I do see your point about providing text boxes with Placeholder text. I've tried this with other clients and just ended up fielding questions in the opposite direction. ("Do the boxes have to stay here, or can I move them?" "What if my text doesn't fit into the boxes you've made; is it OK to make another?" Etc.) I find that either way, you're going to get questions when you create a template for a client who has less experience with page layout.

May 5, 2015 7:12 AM in response to darkmatterknits

I'm sorry, I did take the cue from your first post when you said you were new to Pages.

Thank you for the last tip. that is something that is in Pages '09 but I haven't found in Pages 5.5.3 until now. I'm wondering when they snuck that back in, Apple never tells us what they've actually done with each revision.

I hoped it might fix another problem in Pages 5.5.3 which is keeping a default with no wrap and and floating, but unfortunately that still does not work.

Look I am serious about warning you against Pages 5.x. Your client will be not so happy when they get files they can not open, or find, or are incompatible with the system they are running it on. It certainly is no place to do, and keep work long term.

We recommend most users look for more secure and reliable software.

Peter

May 6, 2015 2:30 AM in response to darkmatterknits

Hi darkmatterknits,

I created a new text box, changed the text inside to my body text paragraph style, and then with the text box (not the text inside, but the box itself) selected, I clicked Format > Advanced > Set as Default Text Box Appearance. And now every new text box uses my body text style as the default.

Thanks for the tip. I am sure that will help other users.

And the good thing is, the default applies only to that document. It is not global.

Regards,

Ian.

How to change default paragraph style in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.