Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWeb crashing in Yosemite

Just upgraded to Yosemite and when I one iWeb to update my website I almost immediately get the spinning beachball or death and have to force quit iWeb. IS there anything I can do to get iWeb to work with Yosemite or am I out of luck? Is there another program I can use that can use the iWeb files if iWeb is truly dead?

iWeb '08, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 4, 2015 10:02 AM

9 replies

May 4, 2015 1:02 PM in response to casadore___

iWeb 08 will definitely not work on Yosemite.

iWeb 09 does work but has some glitches and some widgets won't work at all due to missing images and because some required MobileMe.

In order to upgrade to iWeb 09 you would have to find a copy of iLife 11, possible on Amazon, but remember, there will be a time when iWeb 09 will stop working. It can come at any time and with any OS update.

There are no programs that will open an iWeb project file. There are some that can work somewhat with an iWeb website that has already been published. These tend to be more expensive and have a learning curve.

The closest program to iWeb in terms of ease of use and features would be EverWeb. There are ways to greatly reduce the time it takes to rebuild an iWeb in EverWeb using copy and paste.

May 5, 2015 12:21 AM in response to casadore___

iWeb 09 is the same as iWeb 3 and you CANNOT download it if you have iWeb 08 - you can only download updates to iWeb, so the updates to iWeb 08 and if you want a new version, as Charlie has already told you, you will have to buy it from Amazon and go and purchase either iLife 09 or iLife 11, both of which contain iWeb 09.

You cannot download iWeb 09/3.

Ditch iWeb and nove on to something that is supported, such as EverWeb that has already been mentioned.

No other application can make use of the iWeb data files, but applications such as Flux V and DreamWeaver can use/import the html files, but they have a very steep learning curve.

May 5, 2015 12:46 AM in response to Ethmoid

Thanks for the suggestion Ethmoid but even though I cannot apparently I did, at this link...

Apple - Support - Downloads

...and got iWeb 3.0.4. Maybe I'm mistaken, and please correct me if I am, but from my research I believe 3.0.4 is the latest version of iWeb. It didn't do me any good though because that one crashes just as fast. Therefore, I'll probably go with your suggestion of EverWeb unless someone comes up with a miracle solution in the next couple days.

May 5, 2015 8:45 AM in response to casadore___

You're got to read the "fine" print on those updaters:

User uploaded file

They only work on iWeb 3. The only way to get iWeb 3 is to purchase a copy of the iLife 11 disk from an online retailer like Amazon.com or eBay.com, install iWeb 3 and update to 3.0.4 with the updaters you found.

A better solution would be to leave iWeb which hasn't been developed for 4 years and start using a modern website developer application. EverWeb is one that many have migrated to because it is so much like iWeb. For other candidates search the iWeb forum for "iWeb replacements" or "iWeb alternatives".

User uploaded file

May 6, 2015 1:08 AM in response to casadore___

Yes, iWeb 3.0.4 is the latest, version of iWeb 09, but you can ONLY download this update if you already have iWeb 09/3 installed on your Mac already. It will NOT work if you are trying to download this update and are trying to update from iWeb 08 to iWeb 09. As OT has already pointed out to you, it clearly states at the bottom of the update that you need to have iWeb 09/3 already installed on you computer or the update will not work.

If you have iWeb 08, then the only way to update to iWeb 09/3, is to go to Amazon and purchase either the iLife 09 or iLife 11 boxed set, both of which contain iWeb 09 and install this on your Mac and then you can download the updates if you need to.

Once again - read the small print underneath the updates and you will see that you need to have iWeb 3 already installed on your Mac to be able to download the updates.

Other than this, either you go to Amazon and purchase iLife 09 or 11 or at this stage it is probably better to update to a newer application such as EverWeb that is supported.

iWeb crashing in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.