Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro 2011- High CPU usage after troubleshooting/clean install

I have a Macbook pro 2011 version running 10.6.8 that has all a sudden started running extremely slow. I checked the activity monitor utility and it shows the kernel_task is running at ~%300. The RAM usage (4gb) seems stable, HDD disk shows some spikes but seems stable as well. Eventually if I let it sit for a bit, kernel_task will subside but even opening a simple browser will cause the system to slow down and hang up again but not freeze.

I have run Onxy and all the automated features, reset the SMC and NVRAM, tried a clean install using the disks that came with the system and still have the same issues without even doing a back up of my time machine files, run Onyx again after the clean install, boot into safe mode (seems to help a little bit but still really high CPU usage), used the Apple Hardware Test (No issues), removing battery connector temporarily ( the battery currently does not charge and needs to be kept on charge for the MAC to stay on),

Are there any other troubleshooting tips I have not tried or advice you all might have?

I was thinking of swapping out the HDD and ram but I am wondering if that will help at all since the issue is high CPU usage not HDD or RAM use. Do you think it will still help.

Any suggestion at all will be appreciated!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Macbook Pro 2011

Posted on May 4, 2015 10:27 AM

1 reply

May 5, 2015 8:21 AM in response to mnaqvi

Performance Guide

Why is my computer slow

Why your Mac runs slower than it should

Things you can do to resolve slowdowns see post by Kappy

Try running this program and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read.

Etrecheck – System Information

Macbook pro 2011- High CPU usage after troubleshooting/clean install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.