Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5S crashing after 8.3 update blue screen of death

I have an iPhone 5S which is 90 days out of warranty. I updated to 8.3 and the first issue I noticed was my music app. When I play music it doesn't start off from the last song I played - I have to choose my songs again and restart my shuffled playlist. Last week out of nowhere my phone crashed but it was at 80% battery. The screen went black, then blue, then tried to reboot. It "reset" itself within a few hours. Next day I accessed the App Store and it crashed again. It has since crashed several more times using Facebook, email, turning it off...very frustrating. I brought my phone to VZW and they said it was a software issue. I then went to the Genius Bar and they said without restoring the phone and reinstalling ios, they have no way of knowing if it's software or hardware. The phone crashed as the tech was looking at my phone so he excused himself, went to the back and came back with a second opinion "it's definitely a hardware issue and since you are out of warranty, you'll have to buy a new phone for $549". WHAT?!? So wait, you JUST told me that you wouldn't know if it was a hardware issue until the phone was restored so how did you magically surmise this? Then to tell me there is NOTHING that can be done and if I wanted to restore from a backup, I wouldn't be guaranteed that all of my content would be restored to my phone OR there is a possibility my phone would be wiped clean and not restorable at all. Nice try and scare tactic. I left Apple with a phone stuck on the blue screen of death. I went back to VZW and they said its definitely not a hardware issue and even if it were, Apple is the company to seek, not them - they are just my carrier. I am so fed up with Apple. Every update and phone I've had with them has had issues. I don't know why I continue to be their customer. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Message was edited by: Lifesabeach2

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on May 4, 2015 10:25 AM

6 replies

May 4, 2015 11:29 AM in response to Lifesabeach2

Bacoup your iPhone to both iTunes. & iCloud

How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

Then restore & setup as New:

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups - Apple Support

If the issue still persists even with no other software/apps installed, then it probably is a hardware issue. If the problem is resolved, then you can either then try to restore from backup or add back your apps one at a time (of course, you would then have to setup everything again from scratch). For any apps that utilize File Sharing, transfer the files to your computer before restoring & be sure to save & transfer important photos & documents.

Hope this helps!

May 4, 2015 11:32 AM in response to Lifesabeach2

Hi 🙂

You could try basic trouble shooting, that's what everyone usually suggests first but it that fails to work then it is a hardware issue.

Did it start crashing after you installed or or got rid of an app? Or was it just recently after any of the IOS 8 updates?

In my opinion you should email Apple explaining the issue and they might be able to help you, if this has been happening ever since you bought the phone that's means it's faulty and could be replaced easily depending on what a store representative says.

Hope any of this info helps you get any where with your phone.😝

May 4, 2015 11:57 AM in response to Gadget Girl.X

Sorry, what i wrote was wrong and i can't edit it again now 😐

Here's what I was actually meant to say,

Hi 🙂

You could try basic trouble shooting, that's what everyone usually suggests first but it that fails to work then it is a hardware issue.

Did it start crashing after you installed or or got rid of an app? Oh and has it happened before on any other IOS?

In my opinion you should email Apple explaining the issue and they might be able to help you or tell you it plain and simple that your phone is broken

Also check out these links:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407487,00.asp

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201252

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx9QQpakXvk

^^^^^ This one might benefit you the most!

Hope any of this info helps you get any where with your phone.😝

May 4, 2015 1:03 PM in response to jazcan

Thanks for the reply. My phone is backed up to iTunes. I'm most concerned about not being able to transfer over calendar and contacts as I have all of my pics saved on an external hard drive and I only have 15 apps on my phone which I can easily add back on. At one point the phone was in recovery mode so I plugged into iTunes and chose "update" which took almost 3 hours and after it was done, within minutes it crashed again so I'm not sure if it is in fact a software or hardware issue. I'm so frustrated because my phone worked fine up until I updated it to iOS 8.3

May 4, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Gadget Girl.X

My phone started acting up after the iOS 8.3 update. Apple isn't willing to help AT ALL but I may go through iTunes and send them an email that way to start a paper trail. It seems the more people I speak with they've had issues with their 5s so I'm not sure if it was a coincidence with the software and the timing or just a crappy phone even though I've had it since January 2014 with no issues up until the latest update. Thanks again.

May 4, 2015 1:18 PM in response to Lifesabeach2

Hi again,

Just googled it and it does seems like a common problem for the iPhone 5S to crash and then reboot with the BSOD, seems to me it could be a software problem right now, if another reset doesn't work I would suggest down grading though that would be a very last solution as it's not advised to do so. I have contacted Apple before with a similar situation with my iPhone 4 and they did help slightly but in the end it was a hardware problem for me, hope it's a different ending or you. Overall you should contact iTunes store representative and they will help!

Hope any of that helped😁

Iphone 5S crashing after 8.3 update blue screen of death

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.