Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch gives pain on the wrist?

Day 5 on wearing Apple watch and I feel sharp heat-like pain on the skin touching the sensors. I have an aluminium sports one and the last few days I started to wear it loosely thinking it's just because I'm wearing it very snugly. I tried on the other wrist today and the same heat-like heavy sensation is starting to build up. I'm a dentist so to those who will say build wrist muscle comments should not be one of the reasons. I wear a wrist watch a lot and most of them are heavy ceramic or stainless steel but I have never had this pain before.

Apple Watch, iOS 8.3, Aluminium

Posted on May 4, 2015 11:55 AM

139 replies

May 5, 2015 11:03 AM in response to deggie

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my question. It feels like it is hitting a nerve on the skin with the protruded area on the sensors. What I can remember is that acupuncture bracelet that has a protruding part and helps you with nausea when you fly. It seems like apple watch is doing the same thing to my wrists but the pressure point is on the wrong side. I have no nickel allergy and no one is allergic to ceramic unless it is in a dust form and being inhaled.

May 5, 2015 7:06 PM in response to catgreenhalgh

I am currently on day 5 of using my apple watch 38 mm stainless steel case with the Milanese loop. I Have been experiencing a numbness and tingling sensation on my (left) arm since I have been using the i watch. I wanted to make sure that I wast just "feeling stuff" so I decided to switch it to my right arm and 2 hours after wearing it I started feeling the same on my right arm as well. I did some research and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the battery or radiation Being emited by the watch. Has anyone else felt anything similar.

May 5, 2015 7:37 PM in response to Mstattedcanvas

No it isn't. Did I say somewhere that the watch is obtaining heart rate by using Bluetooth or WiFi? If I did I can't find it. It obtains the pulse using an infrared sensor which is why it is having a problem with some tatoos. The other wearable devices are primarily using vibration sensors to feel the pulse rate. The use Bluetooth to transmit this data to your phone, tablet, etc.

If the Watch is hurting you and you are in the 14 day window you should return it and get your money back.

There is always a small minority that experience some type of problem with new technology. For a good percentage of those it usually turns out to be an allergy to something used to build the device. For the rest it is usually psychological issue.

May 5, 2015 10:06 PM in response to catgreenhalgh

I Have thumb and hand pain after wearing the watch for 4 or 5 days. I wear it very loose. I suspected a problem with new biking gloves and switched to my right wrist to rest my left hand. After 2 days I started having the same issues with my right hand. I havent worn a watch in a decade. Wondering if the loose watch is causing it to hang and put pressure on a tendon? I LOVE the watch, but love my apposable thumbs more. I think I'm gonna have to return it :-(

May 7, 2015 2:25 PM in response to deggie

In January of this Year it was reported that the iPhone 6 SAR nearly exceeded legal radiation limits for simultaneous rating. Every single electronic device especially phones and such gadgets emit such radiation. These are regulated by the FCC. Now being that this is a fairly new item we do not know the SAR or specific absorption rate exposure levels for it. The tingling, numbing and pain may be due to this. So when anyone says that these devices don't emit such radiation They clearly don't know what they are talking about. All of the latest iPhone models (and I will include the iwatch on such because it is an extension of the phone and is composed almost exactly the same as the iPhone) have several transmitters that can simultaneously emit microwave radiation, which include cellular, wifi and Bluetooth radiation. When all of these are turned on the SAR value is 1.58 w/kg the legal Limit 1.60. We don't know yet what those are for the I watch And experiencing these symptoms may be indicative of having this device so close to us but tnx Dr. Iwatch.

Apple watch gives pain on the wrist?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.