Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Yosemite: External Hard Drives Won't Spin Down

Since installing Yosemite, my external (and perhaps internal) drives won't spin down in energy saver mode: 'Put hard drives to sleep when possible.' I'm using Seagate Barracuda 2TB internal drives in external Voyager Q drive bays. They seem to be getting a little too warm, I can also feel them spinning.

Thanks!

Steve

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 4, 2015 11:41 AM

5 replies

May 4, 2015 2:42 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks for those diagnostics & remedies. Those are good to know. Performed all of them but the problem persisted. I tried swapping out different drives and discovered that it was one particular Seagate drive that wasn't spinning down. So that was the culprit. Going to check out the Seagate discussions here or on Seagate and see what can be done, probably nothing.

Thanks much!

Steve

Jun 10, 2015 11:31 AM in response to Stephen Bradley

I also have a Seagate drive that won't spin down when ejected. This problem started after installing Yosemite. The strange thing is that my iMac will spin down one of my other USB hard disks just not the seagate one. I tried to replicate the same thing on my MacBook, however this does spin down the Seagate drive and it is also running Yosemite. Have you had any luck in fixing the issue?

In Yosemite: External Hard Drives Won't Spin Down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.