Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extending wireless network with Airport Expresses

Hi,

I want to buy an airport extreme to replace my current wireless router. I already have 2 airport expresses.

Currently, the wireless signal doesn't reach upstairs, so I have one express connected via powerlines to the router and sending its own network. The second express is also upstairs on the other side of the house, this one extends the network of the other express.

My question is when I put in the extreme, I will use the extend network setting to get wifi upstairs. One express will be within the extremes signal, but the other one won't. Will the express still be able to extend the network off of the other express, or will it have to come off the extreme?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks,

George

Posted on May 4, 2015 1:43 PM

5 replies

May 4, 2015 1:58 PM in response to kernowking1995

Yes, makes perfect sense.. but the answer is no, you cannot extend an extend.. each extender must link back to the main router.. Extreme if that is what you install.

NB.. each hop on wireless results in half speed.. since wireless is single channel/half duplex. When you try and do two repeaters you reduce the speed drastically.. much worse than 1/4.. so it really is something to avoid.

Your current method of using EOP adapter might still work better anyway.. often signal to upstairs is worse as the radiation pattern of the signal from the main router tend to be donut shaped.. with little signal above or below.

Test and see how it goes when you install the extreme.

May 4, 2015 2:10 PM in response to kernowking1995

My question is when I put in the extreme, I will use the extend network setting to get wifi upstairs

Yes, but this is where Apple does not make it easy.......since you can extend using wireless and extend using Ethernet.

So, the first thing that you will need to do is reset both of the AirPorts upstairs back to factory default settings.

Then, get the new AirPort Extreme set up downstairs and working correctly.

If the AirPort that connects to the AirPort Extreme will do so using powerline adapters, then it will extend using Ethernet. You don't really need to worry about this, since the setup wizard will automatically set this up correctly. This AirPort will use the same wireless network name as the new AirPort Extreme, so you will have a much "bigger" network.

The other AirPort upstairs will extend using wireless and provide even more range for the network. Again, the setup wizard will choose the correct settings for you, since it analyzes the network and suggests the correct setup.

Post back when you are ready to install the new AirPort Extreme and we will take this step by step, starting with the new AirPort Extreme, to avoid confusion.

Now.....if you were perhaps thinking that you could remove the powerline adapters and have the upstairs AirPort extend the signal from the new Extreme using wireless, and then have the second Express upstairs extend the signal again using wireless.......that will not work, since the network can only be extended wirelessly one time, not two. So, more planning will be needed.

Extending wireless network with Airport Expresses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.