Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C Hub/Dongle issues with new MacBook early 2015

With the new MacBook that has the single USB-C port I find these results and would appreciate any comments:

• I purchased an Apple dongle that has 3 ports: USB-3, HTMI and USB-C. I also got a new Belkin 'USB-# / USB-C" 32 gb Flash Drive.
    • With this dongle (hub?) I can utilize a USB flash drive or USB 500 gb HD via the USB port while charging the MB
    • I can use the new Belkin USB-C/USB-3 flash drive in the USB port while charging, too
    • BUT if I remove the charger and just plug-in the Belkin Flash Drive on the USB-C side to the USB-C port on the Apple Hub -- NOTHING NOTE: The Belkin 2-size Flash drive works fine in USB-C mode if DIRECTLY connected to the MB
  • I also purchased a Belkin USB-3 3-port hub with 1 more port - an Ethernet port. (Note: This is an UNpowered hub - no transformer, power comes from the Mac)
    • This works great if all 1, 2 or 3 USB ports are being used with Flash drives of 500 mb to 64 gb in size.
    • But if I plug-in a SLIM 500 gb USB-3 HD (not an SSD) - then if there are any flash drives in the other ports, they immediately lose power and are "ejected" - and I get a warning message. So it seems to use a true HD with a USB Hub it will have to be a powered hub. (I returned the other for full credit and have not yet purchased a powered hub because frankly, I want something portable - so don't plan to do that experiment myself)
    • So would this hub have worked with a MacBook Pro or iMac? Is it just that the new MB-2015 model doesn't supply enough power? (Maybe, I think - but not so sure).
    • Same result with a 4-port Targus USB-2 hub I use on my MBP-2010. I'll test that on the MBP with the 500 gb HD tonight.

OK so just wondering if there is anyone out there with similar experience(s) using either the new MBP or in general with HD's and Flash Drives utilizing powered and unpowered USB Hubs. And the first question about why the Belkin Flash works from the USB-3 side but not the USB-C WHEN UTILIZING THE APPLE HUB/Dongle. (The Belkin 2-size Flash drive works fine in USB-C mode if DIRECTLY connected to the MB).

Thanks very much.

Best regards,

Steve Schulte

Monday 4 May 2015

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), And a 1989 Mac SE running OS 6.0.4

Posted on May 4, 2015 12:39 PM

5 replies

May 5, 2015 9:31 AM in response to John0001

John,

Thanks for the fine reply and I agree-- since posting I've been reading-up a bit and it does indeed seem that this dongle that Apple sells for $79 -- that USB-C port is just meant to charge the MacBook while you connect via USB-A and/or HTMI (video) -- but as you said, not connecting another USB-C.

Perhaps others can comment or if we find something that Apple has published.

NOTE: I wrote "BELKIN" 2-sided (USB-C / USB-A) flash drive but that is wrong, I now have it in front of me it is of course a SANDISK product.

Thanks again!

Steve

Tuesday 5 May 2015

May 8, 2015 4:06 PM in response to Stephen Schulte1

Confirmed Stephen's findings. the USB-C port on the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter can only be used for charging, and not as a USB-C port. I plugged in my SanDisk 32GB USB-C/USB-3 flash drive and it would not recognize it. Further, i also have the Apple USB-C to USB-3 adapter, plugged that into the USB-C port on the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, and connected a WD My Passport external HDD and the light wouldn't even come on.

Even further, on the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter itself, they put the icon for "power" over the USB-C connection. Apple is lucky they are calling it "USB-C" and not "USB Type-C" or they'd be in violation of the official spec for USB Type-C.

User uploaded file

Aug 8, 2015 3:46 PM in response to Stephen Schulte1

Hello Stephen,

I've got a similar problem, I purchased the Apple USB-C Digital AV Adapter together with the new Macbook in order to be able to expand

and connected an unpowered USB 3, 4 port hub to the single USB port of the adapter.

I attached 2x 128 GB USB 3 Pen drives and an external 256 GB SSD Hard drive, all external devices have been recognized and i was able to use them

(the Macbook Charger was connected to the USB-C Adapter), as soon as the Macbook went to sleep the connection to the external devices

has been lost and go the "Eject" message. I tried the same with an standard external USB 3 Hard drive with the same result. I modified the Power settings

of the Macbook in order that the Macbook never sleeps and the issue seems to be solved, at least keeping connected only the 2x 128GB USB 3 Pen drives.

IT works also well without the Charger connected. But as soon as I connect a Hard drive all disks are ejected the same happens with the Macbook charger connected. I think with this it is clear that the Macbook is not able to provide sufficient power for more than one device. Only one Hard drive connected to the

USB-C Digital AV adapter with connected Macbook Charger seem to work fine for now. It would be useful to know if powered USB 3 Adapters

attached to the Apple Digital AV adapter solve this problem, if not, i guess Apple has to do something because there's very limited expandability. By the way

OWC has announced a powered USB-C docking station for the Macbook, and knowing OWC it will work fine, but it is too big to carry around everywhere a

smaller portable solution would be appreciated.

I hope to be useful

Regards

Robert

USB-C Hub/Dongle issues with new MacBook early 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.