Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

suddenly trusted sites are showing up as untrusted

Hi,

I am using a Macbook Pro 15 inch, OSX 10.9.5. I have been encountering situations where I can no longer go to certain encrypted sites without receiving a STOP warning message that the site is untrusted; using Angie's List as an example, I get a "Your Connection is not private" message (see attachment). If I click on the lock in the address line, I get information about Thawte saying that its certificate is not valid (see attachment). However, if I click on the certificate itself, it's good 'til 2016.

At first I assumed it was a browser issue (currently using Chrome); however, I tried the same thing in Safari and Firefox with similar results. In Safari, I inexplicably get a message that it's not a trusted certificate even though the certificate there shows as valid (see attachment). In Firefox, I just get a message that it's not encrypted. So, it's not a browser issue.

I have a PC at work, so tried going to angieslist.com on it; no problems whatsoever; it shows up with a green https://.

This has only been happening in the last few days since installing the regular system "security" update that automatically downloaded. When I look at "about this Mac," here's the OS detail: OS X 10.9.5 (13F1077)

Is this problem caused by the recent update? What do you suggest? (Is there a way to roll it back?) I'm concerned--how will I know when there really MIGHT BE a threat of hackers going after my information versus the bug that seem to have been introduced?

Thanks!

Diana

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 4, 2015 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 10:46 PM

First, in System Preferences > Date & Time verify your system settings are correct.

Have you tried selecting Private Browsing.

Safari > File > New Private Window

Chrome > File > New Incognito Window

FWIW, Yosemite OS X 10.10.3 received a security update that fixed the rootpipe issue but I don't believe Apple issues a fix for older versions of OS X...not even OS X 10.10.2

http://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/rootpipe-backdoor-flaw-no-patch/

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2015 10:46 PM in response to dianafromsanta monica

First, in System Preferences > Date & Time verify your system settings are correct.

Have you tried selecting Private Browsing.

Safari > File > New Private Window

Chrome > File > New Incognito Window

FWIW, Yosemite OS X 10.10.3 received a security update that fixed the rootpipe issue but I don't believe Apple issues a fix for older versions of OS X...not even OS X 10.10.2

http://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/rootpipe-backdoor-flaw-no-patch/

May 4, 2015 10:54 PM in response to dianeoforegon

Hi Diane,

My date/time are correct, and private browsing didn't make a difference.

What's interesting is that it wasn't until I did the security update for OS X 10.9.5 that it showed up--so the only way to fix it is to go to Yosemite, eh?

Apple, you should be ashamed to leave the users of Mavericks out on a dangerous security limb--many of us are not ready to upgrade to Yosemite, which has been quite bug filled--this is a serious breach of security that should be fixed at least retroactively to Mavericks.

Thanks,
Diana

May 5, 2015 9:36 AM in response to dianafromsanta monica

From Safari Help

Change the trust settings of a certificate

You can view or change a certificate’strust policies in Keychain Access.

Open Keychain Access for me

1. In the Category list, select a category.
  2. Select a certificate, then choose File > Get Info.
  3. Click the Trust disclosure triangle to display the trust policies for the certificate.
  4. To override the trust policies, choose new trust settings from the pop-up menus.

Safari Certificate not recognized

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Feedback

May 19, 2015 7:23 AM in response to dianafromsanta monica

If none of the above works, try this if you have installed Mac's latest updates. (Security Update 2015-004 broke VeriSign SSL certificates system wide &app store unavailable following security update 2015-004 (Mavericks)Security Update 2015-004 broke VeriSign SSL certificates system wide)

Symptoms should also include a break of iTunes Store and the App Store on MBPs.

Here's the solution that worked for me: http://stiobhart.net/2015-05-03-apple-broke-ssl/

One more thing: I also had to delete the following and download --> replace the DigiCert certificates too. They were:

1. DigiCert High Assurance CA-3,
  2. DigiCert High Assurance EV Root CA, and
  3. DigiCert SHA2 Extended Validation Server CA.

So far so good with the additional certs. You can get the DigiCert certificates here: https://www.digicert.com/digicert-root-certificates.htm#roots

Hope this helps! 😎

suddenly trusted sites are showing up as untrusted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.