Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The total RAM of an iMAC 5k goes low after installing a new memory chip

Hello People,

I have an iMAC 5k retina with 16Gb of memory (installed as 2x8Gb chips). When I followed the instructions and added 2x2Gb DIMM's to the memory compartment, then the iMAC started showing up the total memory as 10Gb.

After removing the newly added memory DIMM's, the iMAC again showed the total memory as 16Gb.

Looks like one of the 8Gb DIMM's get deactivated and only one of the 2Gb DIMM's gets activated when all four DIMM's are inserted (which brings the total memory to 10Gb).

Please let me know if anyone else has seen this behavior too, and any potential solutions to make all four DIMM's work at the same time.

I appreciate your time on this.

Cheers,

A

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 4, 2015 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 5:09 PM

Where did you get the new 2X2 GB SO-DIMM's? Are you sure that they meet the specifications required by your iMac? What does the label on the DIMM's say? According to the Apple article highlighted below the SO-DIMM's need to meet the following requirements.

iMac: How to remove or install memory - Apple Support

• PC3-12800
  • Unbuffered
  • Nonparity
  • 204-pin
  • 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2015 5:09 PM in response to ankitchadha29

Where did you get the new 2X2 GB SO-DIMM's? Are you sure that they meet the specifications required by your iMac? What does the label on the DIMM's say? According to the Apple article highlighted below the SO-DIMM's need to meet the following requirements.

iMac: How to remove or install memory - Apple Support

• PC3-12800
  • Unbuffered
  • Nonparity
  • 204-pin
  • 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM

May 5, 2015 5:12 PM in response to SeaPapp

So these ones are from an old MAC-mini.

As of now, the system seems to be chugging along at the expected memory (20Gb). However, I've noticed some oddities: MS-Word pops up whenever I try to shut down the system and nothing happens unless I manually kill the MS-Word process.

Guess I'll need to buy new and Crucial/OWC RAM to help me get the desired performance.

Thanks to all who replied!

The total RAM of an iMAC 5k goes low after installing a new memory chip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.