Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking to purchase a new 13" MacBook Pro with 512GB SSD memory and 8GB ram. Main purpose is to run Final Cut Prowithout being at my desk. Is there's need to upgrade to the 16GB to make Final Cut Prorun more smoothly?

I was planning on buying a new 13 inch MacBook Pro with 512 GB memory and 8GB RAM. The main purpose for this purchase Is to be able to run Final Cut Pro anywhere I want to. Should I upgrade to 16 GB of RAM with the added expense and wait time or is that overkill?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 4, 2015 1:55 PM

3 replies

May 6, 2015 1:35 PM in response to Rdbesq

I am now reconsidering and considering the purchase of the 15" MacBook Pro, 16GB/512GB, standard order with the 4th gen 2.5ghz, quad-core i7 over the 13" MacBook Pro, 16GB/512GB, with the upgraded 5th gen 3.1ghz, dual core i7. It is only a few hundred dollars more.

My questions are these:

1. Is it important to consider that the 13" is advertised as "new" by Apple with 5th generation processor and force track pad, while the 15" doesn't appear to be updated and is still using a fourth generation processor and does not have the force pad?

2. I want to make sure that I am not buying something (with the 15") that is going to drastically change next week and will be outdated too soon. Ideas?

3. Will the fourth gen quad core 2.5 i7 still perform better than the 5th gen dual core 3.1 i7?

It seems like it is a no brainier to jump to the 15" for a few hundred bucks, but I just want to make sure there is not something I am missing.

Looking to purchase a new 13" MacBook Pro with 512GB SSD memory and 8GB ram. Main purpose is to run Final Cut Prowithout being at my desk. Is there's need to upgrade to the 16GB to make Final Cut Prorun more smoothly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.