Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Coming back to iOS different accounts for me and wife?

So I'm thinking about coming back to iOS from Android mostly because while I enjoy the customization of Android having my stuff and the wife's all separate annoys me and she isnt tech savvy enough to make the switch to Android. She also gets confused anytime she has to use my phone so it would just be simpler for me to have an iPhone too. The last iPhone I had was an iPhone 3GS she has continued to use iPhones and currently has a 5S.

** so after typing the whole message figured I needed to come back and add some more in the intro and apologize for the wall of text that follows. I guess I have two main concerns that fall below. A) setting up accounts correctly for iMessage, iTunes, etc and B) tasks I currently perform, apps I use, and questions/concerns ... and finding replacements **

A) If I come back what should I do? With iMessage and all the rest of the stuff I dont want to receive her text messages and vice versa. I assume the best thing would be to setup a new iTunes account for myself and put my new phone on it. I saw the new family share thing which would allow me to merge both of our accounts into one and share apps, music, etc?

Is this the best way to do it or what else should I know?

B) Over the past week or so I have been compiling a list of everything I normally do on my HTC One M8 and trying to make sure I'll loose nothing. Here is what I have so far:

• gmail - I have played with the GMail app on her phone and iPad and while its ok its not nearly as good as on Andriod but its doable
  • calendar (Google) - I could switch this to Apples Calendar without much effort
  • Reminders (Google Keep) - the one thing I'm looking forward to about going back to iOS I always loved the reminders on iOS the new Google Keep is the best I found but its still not quiet as good
  • weather - no issue here plenty of weather apps
  • youtube - this app seems fairly good on iOS
  • Audible - havent played with this one yet but heard its pretty good
  • Radio (Google) - I really like my Google Radio I havent tried out Apple's version yet but one thing I really love is being able to search by artist and then listening to all their songs by top rated, album, all of them, or make a playlist out of it and select songs all without owning the songs. Can Apple Radio do something similar or the same?
  • reddit - any good reddit apps?
  • Destiny App - I assume its there and works ok
  • PS4 App - I assume its there and works ok
  • alarms - I havent played much with her clock and alarm features. If the default app doesnt work for me is there any good 3rd party apps anyone would recommend
  • Ambiance - I have used this on both platforms and they are almost identical
  • Keyboard - I have heard horrible things about the Apple keyboards. I use the default Google one currently and love its swipe typing and word correction/prediction. Is there a swipe to type built into Apples keyboard yet or a good 3rd party. I have heard stories of some of them crashing the phone or locking it to where you cant type.
  • Voice Recognition - I do enjoy the "ok Google" and I know Siri is there in the past she has been ok but I found google did a much better job and accurately catching the correct works without having to go back and fix things. has Siri gotten up to the level of Google. My wife doesnt use this feature and I havent tested with her phone yet.

Sorry for the extremely long message, its just a bit jump back across the pound and want ti to go as smooth as possible.

-Thanks Phillip

PS

any tips or comments from others who were apple users, switched to android and switched back are welcome. My AT&T contract ends on 7/17/15 and I can upgrade at that time. Should I do it then or old off for the next phone release? ... dont they normally do that in September?

Mac OS X (10.7), null

Posted on May 4, 2015 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 12:54 PM

When it comes to specific apps, it really depends on what functionality you want and need. Spend a little time on the app store, or past some specifics about those.

And yes, you should look into Family Sharing, but I have found in my situation (much like yours, or what you are shooting for) it works just as well to use separate AppleID's for everything except the App and iTunes store (in my case, I was iOS long before her, so it is my account). This allows you to keep syncing of contacts, notes etc., using Messages, and such separate, but share app and content purchases.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2015 12:54 PM in response to Wrathen

When it comes to specific apps, it really depends on what functionality you want and need. Spend a little time on the app store, or past some specifics about those.

And yes, you should look into Family Sharing, but I have found in my situation (much like yours, or what you are shooting for) it works just as well to use separate AppleID's for everything except the App and iTunes store (in my case, I was iOS long before her, so it is my account). This allows you to keep syncing of contacts, notes etc., using Messages, and such separate, but share app and content purchases.

Coming back to iOS different accounts for me and wife?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.