Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to import music from ipod to itunes

I talked to an Apple Support person and she said that I'd have to look at 3rd Party software sites in order to copy songs from my iPod to iTunes. I just recently had a virus, and when my dad did a restart, it apparently erased everything on my computer, including my iTunes library. When I plug my iPod in, there are no songs, except what is on my iPod. She said that there is no way to put the music back on iTunes unless I look at some 3rd Party sites.

My question is, does anyone know of any reliable 3rd Party sites that have free downloads that can copy the songs from my iPod to iTunes? Preferably no sites that have a trial basis. I tried a site like that it only took a few songs and then wouldn't allow me to import any of the other songs.

I am using a 5th Generation Nano and a 7th Generation Nano. Both have the same problem and I need to rework both of them. I'd appreciate all the help, because I don't know if I find a site and it ends up giving me another virus. So, if anyone knows of sites they've used in the past that has been reliable and they use all the time, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Raven

iPod nano, Windows 7

Posted on May 4, 2015 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 7:34 PM

See turingtest2's user tip on Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device for information on various 3rd party tools that can be used to recover content from iDevices to iTunes. You can also achieve a partial recovery (media only, possibly without artwork), as follows:

• Run iTunes with your iPod not connected, select Edit > Preferences > Devices and check the Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically box
  • Connect your iPod, select the Summary tab and check the Enable disk use box
  • Exit iTunes
  • You should now be able to see your iPod as a disc drive in Windows Explorer. Make sure that you've configured Windows to show hidden files and folders (Organize > Folder Search and Options, View tab).
  • Open the iPod_Control folder on your iPod, and copy the Music folder that you'll see there to your desktop
  • Still using Windows Explorer, right click on the Music folder just copied to your desktop and make sure that both the Read-only and Hidden flags are cleared.
  • Run iTunes, select File > Add Folder to Library..., navigate to and select the Music folder on your desktop
  • The previous content of your iPod should now be added to your library. Any songs/albums for which you'd previously used the Get Album Artwork function will no longer have associated images, but these should be easily redone.

This should be regarded as an "emergency" procedure only. There's no excuse for not maintaining an up to date backup of your iTunes library (as with any data that you value) - computers, and in particular hard drives, always fail ... you just don't know when it's going to happen. See another of tt2's user tips - Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy - for a suitable/recommended method. Although cloud-based backups are the way things are headed, its probably still simpler to use an external hard drive - this may not be as high-tech as using the cloud but is more robust, at least as far as not having dependence on an internet connection.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2015 7:34 PM in response to raven uchiha

See turingtest2's user tip on Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device for information on various 3rd party tools that can be used to recover content from iDevices to iTunes. You can also achieve a partial recovery (media only, possibly without artwork), as follows:

• Run iTunes with your iPod not connected, select Edit > Preferences > Devices and check the Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically box
  • Connect your iPod, select the Summary tab and check the Enable disk use box
  • Exit iTunes
  • You should now be able to see your iPod as a disc drive in Windows Explorer. Make sure that you've configured Windows to show hidden files and folders (Organize > Folder Search and Options, View tab).
  • Open the iPod_Control folder on your iPod, and copy the Music folder that you'll see there to your desktop
  • Still using Windows Explorer, right click on the Music folder just copied to your desktop and make sure that both the Read-only and Hidden flags are cleared.
  • Run iTunes, select File > Add Folder to Library..., navigate to and select the Music folder on your desktop
  • The previous content of your iPod should now be added to your library. Any songs/albums for which you'd previously used the Get Album Artwork function will no longer have associated images, but these should be easily redone.

This should be regarded as an "emergency" procedure only. There's no excuse for not maintaining an up to date backup of your iTunes library (as with any data that you value) - computers, and in particular hard drives, always fail ... you just don't know when it's going to happen. See another of tt2's user tips - Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy - for a suitable/recommended method. Although cloud-based backups are the way things are headed, its probably still simpler to use an external hard drive - this may not be as high-tech as using the cloud but is more robust, at least as far as not having dependence on an internet connection.

May 5, 2015 6:25 PM in response to hhgttg27

Unfortunately, it did not work. It doesn't show any of my songs going into the library. So, it looks like I might have to go to a 3rd Party site, or I might have to think about buying some disks and burn the music onto the disks and then put them on a new iPod as seeing the 2 iPods I have don't seem to work with what you showed me. I never had a problem before when I had a virus, but this time, it pretty much screwed me over. iTunes is good, but it also ***** because something happens to the iPods and the customers are basically screwed and we can't do anything about it.

So, if you know of any reliable 3rd Party sites that don't require any information from me, no trial basis, and don't ask for money, I would love to know what sites can help me, or I'll just have to settle with spending money on buying 2 new iPods that unfortunately cost over $145 each.

Thanks,

Raven

May 5, 2015 9:10 PM in response to raven uchiha

I'm surprised ... that method normally works within its inherent limitations, in that you can't copy media selectively, may lose artwork, and doesn't transfer any details of playlists, counts, ratings, etc. On the occasions I've made use of this technique - normally as a quick "Band-Aid" solution when I don't have immediate access to my main system & backups. or helping out family members / friends / co-workers - it has been reliable.

I can't give any guarantees that the tools referenced in turingtest2's user tip are all 100% "safe", but this list has been around for a while, and builds on well--regarded sources, so I don't believe any would be of high risk. Of course, your should always have effective anti-virus / anti-malware installed, running and up to date before visiting any website or downloading anything from the 'net.

"something happens to the iPods and the customers are basically screwed and we can't do anything about it"

As far as iPods themselves are concerned newly-bought ones have a warranty and you can extend this by subscribing to Apple Care. However, iPods are essentially disposable, even though many have remarkably long life spans - I still regularly use my 2nd gen (2006) and 3rd gen (2007) nanos, far beyond the expected life of any portable device. You must recognize, though, that an iPod is not and never will be a reliable data storage device - they are small, easily lost, easily broken, a common target for thieves, and built down to a price. I don't see how it is Apple's problem if you don't create and maintain a backup of your data, any more than it would be valid to blame Microsoft if your hard drive fails and, having not predicted and remediated this risk, you lose your sole copy of your MS Office documents.

May 6, 2015 9:26 AM in response to raven uchiha

I can't help with finding a third party site for your current problem, but I would suggest signing up to something like https://www.backblaze.com/ so if anything like that happens again, you have your data is backed up in a completely different place. It's pretty darn cheap, so I would recommend using backblaze. And it offers you peace of mind.

May 6, 2015 10:50 AM in response to helpfulperson

... and, as they say "other cloud providers are available" 😐.

There are three issues, though, that limit the utility of a cloud service as the sole backup of your iTunes library.

• Volume - most low-cost cloud services offer relatively small amounts of storage, which is OK for a small iTunes library but won't be effective for a larger one. ITunes libraries of 1TB or more are common - you can probably buy a 2TB USB hard drive for less than the monthly costs of 2TB of cloud storage.
  • Bandwidth - how long is it going to take to make the initial backup? Many people using domestic internet connections have a practical upload limit of around 10Mbps or less. At that speed its going to take up to two weeks, tying up your connection 24/7, just to make the first backup. There are commercial disaster recovery services that avoid this by using physical media for the initial backup, and the cloud for incremental updates, but I'm not aware of any affordable "consumer" services that do the same thing. The same issue applies if you need to do a complete restore after a system failure - why wait weeks to get your library back when you can do the same thing in a few hours using a cheap HDD?
  • Accessibility - if your only backup is in the cloud, what happens when your internet connection is down, or the provider goes out of business, or you forget to pay your monthly bill?

It may seem low-tech, but a $100 USB drive is still the better option.

May 7, 2015 9:26 AM in response to hhgttg27

I do have another question that popped into my head last night, would I be able to burn the music onto a disk or a USB and then import them back onto my iPod? I know in the past I've been able to burn music onto a disk, but I don't know if I would be able to import it back onto my iPod.

I can buy some disks and I do have a few USBs, so if anyone can let me know, I would be grateful.

May 7, 2015 2:56 PM in response to raven uchiha

Okay, I went and tried it again. This time I put the iTunes music into a folder called Music, I tried to put it in the Library, but when I click open it keeps opening the folder until you see the songs that you want on the Library. How can I tell if those songs have appeared on my Library in iTunes? Right now, I've logged into my iTunes, and I see all the songs, but how do I fully know if those songs are in my iTunes Library? Not to mention, that I tried syncing my iPod, but again the songs did not update with the songs that should be first on iTunes. Am I doing something wrong?

Raven.

Trying to import music from ipod to itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.