Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CPU overload in performance mode

I have recently upgraded my mac from a 2009 iMac (3.1 GHz intel dual core duo, 8gb ram) which I have been sucessfully gigging with for the past 4 years. On the iMac I resisted upgrading from MainStage 2 as I was worried that the age of the machine might be a problem.

Having spent the cash on a shiny new MBP I thought my concerns of CPU spikes were over. Unfortunately this is not the case. When using Pianoteq, the CPU usage is pretty heavy, which I would expect. I have found the right settings in MainStage 3 to allow the CPU to sit in the middle of the meter whilst playing a piano part along with a four track playback. All is well when I play in edit mode, but when I go to performance mode the CPU spikes and goes crazy.

All the Exs 24 and apple instruments of course behave themselves and barely tickles the meter, but I love the Pianoteq piano live.

In the MS 3.1.1 update they said that this issue had been fixed. Any ideas?

Set up: Macbook pro 13' Renta (early 2015) 3.1GHz i7, 16gb Ram, 500gb SSD. MOTU 828 mk3 FW Audio interface. MainStage 3.1.1 and Pianoteq 4 (also tried version 5, but I feel it was worse)

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 4, 2015 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 11:04 PM

Hi Zootmo

I have a friend who is experiencing exactly the same problem with a 13" Retina MacBook Pro i.e. when in Edit mode, the CPU load is reasonable but as soon as he enters Performance Mode, the CPU goes crazy. I have a mid-2014 MacBook Pro 15" Retina machine and have no problems at all when entering Performance Mode. I spent several hours with my friend's MacBook Pro/MainStage setup and the CPU issues occur when he enters Performance Mode OR when he expands the Edit Mode window as much as possible (and hides Inspectors, Channel Strips etc).

Based on my observations of my friend's machine and your post, I have a feeling this issue specifically affects the MacBook Pro 13" Retina model. I highly recommend that you submit feedback to Apple via the MainStage menu item ("Provide MainStage feedback").

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2015 11:04 PM in response to zootmo

Hi Zootmo

I have a friend who is experiencing exactly the same problem with a 13" Retina MacBook Pro i.e. when in Edit mode, the CPU load is reasonable but as soon as he enters Performance Mode, the CPU goes crazy. I have a mid-2014 MacBook Pro 15" Retina machine and have no problems at all when entering Performance Mode. I spent several hours with my friend's MacBook Pro/MainStage setup and the CPU issues occur when he enters Performance Mode OR when he expands the Edit Mode window as much as possible (and hides Inspectors, Channel Strips etc).

Based on my observations of my friend's machine and your post, I have a feeling this issue specifically affects the MacBook Pro 13" Retina model. I highly recommend that you submit feedback to Apple via the MainStage menu item ("Provide MainStage feedback").

May 5, 2015 5:27 AM in response to zootmo

I'd perform in Edit Mode if I were you. When I spent all that time with my friend's setup, the CPU craziness in Perform Mode was simply ridiculous. I've been using MainStage since 2009 and have never seen anything like it. Would you mind seeing what happens if you (in Edit Mode) maximize the workspace as big as it'll go, hide the Inspector and channel strips, and then hide the toolbar? The CPU on my friend's MBP also went crazy when we did this. It's almost as if the machine freaks out when too much of the screen is being used when operating MainStage.

May 5, 2015 2:28 PM in response to Madddcow

Hi Madddcow,

You're bang on the money with your theory. I hide the channel strips and inspectors and the CPU registers poorly like in performance mode.

But here's the funny thing, when I'm in edit mode and I scale the entire application right down in size (till its as small as it goes) the cpu meter hardly gets to a quarter. This is the sort of performance I would expect from such a powerful new computer. Definitely a stupid glitch. Hope they can fix it soon as I feel the next few gigs will have to be performed with binoculars strapped to my head!! 😎

Thanks again mate, I'll repost feedback with these findings.

CPU overload in performance mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.