Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Last time I updated pages I lost features I liked and was unable to open some pages files. Now I see the features I liked are back but I have a lot more files to worry about. Will I be able to open files created in 5.2 if I upgrade to 5.5.3?

Last time I updated pages I lost features I liked and was unable to open some pages files. Now I see the features I liked are back but I have a lot more files to worry about. Will I be able to open files created in 5.2 if I upgrade to 5.5.3?

iMac

Posted on May 4, 2015 3:11 PM

5 replies

May 4, 2015 3:45 PM in response to lucytuck

Within reason, Pages v5.2 documents are forwards compatible with Pages v5.5.3. Apple introduced the single file format document as a default with Pages v5.5.3 which is not backwards compatible with Pages v5 on Mavericks.

However, they also provided a File > Advanced > Change File Type > {Single File, Package} menu that allows you to change the current Pages v5.5.3 document into the backwards compatible Package type document. You would follow this transformation with a File > Save operation to complete it.

May 5, 2015 2:02 PM in response to lucytuck

In your most recent post addressed to me, the use of the term, “Within reason,” implies the following:

• Yes, Pages v5.2 documents are forwards compatible with Pages v5.5.3.
  • But… Maybe not.
    • Any release of Pages v5.5.3 has proven to exercise amnesia about its own v5 genre documents, and may fail to open them. Reason unknown.
    • Any release of Pages v5 is the poorest quality, buggiest software that Apple may have ever released. Therefore, unpredictable is baked in.
  • You really won't know about older v5.2 document compatibility until opened in the latest version (v.5.5.3) and content verification.

• I simply refuse to use Pages v5 (any release) for serious word processing work.

PS: Not a good idea to start a new post specifically addressed at a single individual. Your follow-on post to this thread will bump it to the top of the posts, and it will get read again for more recent responses — most likely by anyone, including myself, that had previously contributed.

May 5, 2015 2:12 PM in response to VikingOSX

My apologies for starting a new post. When simply reading replies that weren't helping me, I found no way to add questions or ask for more detail - no place to click 'reply'. Only now discovered that I had to click on 'this helped me' in order to ask anything further.

You helped me greatly this time, though. I'll not bother with the upgrade. I'll have to go shopping for other word processing software that will allow me to save files as something other than .pages.... then I guess I'll just have to c/p from my pages files.

Thanks, again, for your help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.