Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac 27 led failure - left screen dark

Hi,

The LED backlights on the left part of my iMac 27 (Model A1312) are almost dark or completely dark. I see the LCD image but the backlight comes and goes. I have been searching on the web what could cause this issue and found that I'm not the first person that has had this problem. There's even a class action lawsuit against apple (Apple sued over alleged iMac screen dimming issues - CNET).

This problem came a month after having the GPU replaced (at no cost in an Apple Authorized Service Provider in Argentina (Maxim LLC). The AMD 6970 GPU failed completely and, luckily, the issue was covered by an Apple replacement program (HT203787).

My question is if this dark half screen issue could be the result of the GPU replacement or it is another problem that this particular model has. Please advise on a possible solution. Below a picture of the screen issue:

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 4, 2015 5:39 PM

3 replies

May 4, 2015 6:45 PM in response to pancho_rivero

There are two viable explanations here:

1. The LCD failure is independent of the CPU issue or

2. The LCD failure resulted from the effects of the GPU installation.

The latter is very much a possibility. Added pressure or heat both seem to be implicated with the problem; lead-free solder might play a role in this, too. When you bring the machine in, refer to your evidence to bolster your case.

imac 27 led failure - left screen dark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.