Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhotos Events vs. Photos Albums

When I used iPhotos my photos would automatically be split into Events (dates) , which I could then name...John's Birthday Party, etc. But now in Photos, it seems to still split by date but I can't figure out how to name that date. Do I have to create an album for every date? Thanks so much for any help.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 4, 2015 5:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 5:36 PM

Yes - there are no events in Photos - only moments which are not user definable and albums

LN

4 replies

May 8, 2015 10:05 AM in response to lmbc7

Moments in Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there was a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Albums/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right.

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

User uploaded file

Jul 22, 2015 11:59 AM in response to tmdsan

Very irritated with the way my photos are now organized. Why didn't they take current albums from iphoto and keep them as events.

Because there are no events in Photos. Only Moments and albums. Moments in Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there is a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

NOTE: It's been reported by several users that if the Event albums are moved out of the iPhoto Library folder in the sidebar they may disappear. It's not widespread but several users have reported that issue. Therefore, if you want to assure that you keep those Event albums don't move them outside the iPhoto Events folder.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Albums/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right. However, with Photos 2 due to be released with El Captian this fall we'll be able to sort the photos in albums as we were able to in iPhoto.

Tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored or new features added in Photos via Apple-Photos Feedback.

User uploaded file

iPhotos Events vs. Photos Albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.