Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I view a log on my iPhone to see if it was backedup to another computer when connected via a cable?

I used someones Mac to charge my iPhone via their USB cable, stupidly I "trusted" the device, and becam suspicious when my personal hotspot was suddenly activated remotely, so two resulting questions follow:

1) In trusting the the computer, that person could have copied or backed up the files on my phone without a password? (using their iTunes or viewing the device)

2) Is there anyway to see a log on my phone or iTunes to determine if my phones files were accessed/copied or backup to that computer?

Thank you for any support,

S1

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on May 4, 2015 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 9:10 PM

No, there is no such log. You can see when it was last backed up when you connect to your iTunes. If you left the phone unattended when connected, someone else could have backed up the phone. There's no access to your files other than those that were backed up or synced to that computer when you were connected.

Your hotspot can't be accessed by anyone else on an iPhone 5 unless you activate it from your phone and they know the password.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2015 9:10 PM in response to S1monS

No, there is no such log. You can see when it was last backed up when you connect to your iTunes. If you left the phone unattended when connected, someone else could have backed up the phone. There's no access to your files other than those that were backed up or synced to that computer when you were connected.

Your hotspot can't be accessed by anyone else on an iPhone 5 unless you activate it from your phone and they know the password.

May 4, 2015 9:23 PM in response to modular747

Many thanks modular747, yeah I thought that about the hotspot, it was just weird it activated as I have never activated it/used it before.

I was sat there next to the computer, and my phone was in my hands all the time, unlocked as I was using whatsapp continually, the phone screen never changed (can't remeber if the screen would change or not when being backed up)... lost my cable hence as soon as I get another I will check in iTunes the backup history as you said.

Without being a pain, just to confirm:

1). The backup function is the only way they would have to access to all the data/files? (e.g. whatsapp history, email history, address book, music etc.).

2). To check the backuo history I can see that in Edit>Preferences>devices right?

Thank you again 🙂

May 4, 2015 9:26 PM in response to S1monS

The backup function is the only way they would have to access to all the data/files? (e.g. whatsapp history, email history, address book, music etc.).

Yes. The data like your whatsapp history and your email account settings are in the backup and can be seen only if that backup was restored to another phone. iTunes music/media aren't in the backup but could have been synced to the iTunes library on that computer. However, they can't be played unless that computer (or other iPhone synced to it) is signed into your iTunes account.

May 5, 2015 1:46 PM in response to modular747

Update:

I don't think iTunes will show you a "last backup date" when you do it on another computer (that is not the computer on which you are viewing the last backup (via iTunes).

It will only show you the date of the last back up to either iCloud or the last backup to "this computer", therefore there is no way of knowing if files were backed-up to another computer/device.

Interesting lesson learnt.

Can I view a log on my iPhone to see if it was backedup to another computer when connected via a cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.