Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie gone after Yosemite recovery update

so my uncle gave me this mac and it already had iMovie on it, when i updated to yosemite recovery update its gone and i signed in to the apple id that purchased iMovie and its still not in the updates tab.

iMovie '11, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 4, 2015 4:14 PM

2 replies

May 5, 2015 9:51 AM in response to imreefy

I have spent the last few days trying to do "damage control" after updating to Yosemite... I am NOT a computer guru so needless to say, it’s been a rough couple of days!!! I experienced the same thing -lost iPhoto, iMovie, and Adobe CS wasn’t working either... did a lot of researching and testing, would get a glimmer of progress, and then kept hitting brick walls: my Applications folder is empty, Launchpad doesn’t work (keeps saying Loading Applications), and when I tried clicking on “Install” in my Apps Store Purchases, it would load at an excruciatingly slow pace and when it was finally finished: NOTHING - it would just say “Installed” but program wouldn’t open and no icon anywhere on my iMAC to launch it. If I clicked out of that window and came back to the purchases screen, it would revert back to “Install” with no memory of having just spent the last 20 minutes or more supposedly installing it!! Does any of this sound similar to you?

Somehow I was able to get iPhoto back. During one of my attempts to try ANYTHING I just happened to click on the Apple logo and went to “Recent Items”, if the program is listed in the Applications, click on it. When I did, iPhoto opened right up. Once the icon appeared in the dock, I right-clicked on it and immediately set it to “Keep in Dock”. A couple of event folders were blank but rebuilding the database fixed that.

It wasn’t as easy for iMovie... that one wasn’t found in my “Recent Items” (one of those brick walls I mentioned) but hopefully, maybe going to the Recent Items will do the trick for you.

I am trying to remember how exactly I was able to get iMovie back... but like I said, it’s been a rough couple of days... not to mention sleepless nights. After 48 exasperating hours straight, I just remember, miraculously seeing the iMovie icon, double-clicking on it and it opened. I think what I had done was gone into finder, looked at some iMovie files I kept on an external hard drive, right clicked on a iMovie Project and moved my cursor to “Open With”, icon was actually there, clicked on it, and it opened. I immediately set the icon to remain on the dock as well.

Hope this helps.

iMovie gone after Yosemite recovery update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.