Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using OSX 10.6.8, recently been having popups, think it's adware/malware from MediaDownloader, one of the first pop ups to occur. The second pop up to occur was Trojanalert. Never had a virus on this computer. Please help remove.

I'm currently using OSX 10.6.8, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM Memory. I am not able to upgrade the operating system, and the computer still has 67 GB of memory on the harddrive. I don't use it for anything very intense, mostly internet browsing. I was at a hotel over the weekend and connected to their free wifi. Once back home, two days later, I started receiving pop ups in Chrome. The first was MediaDownloader, so I assume that is the culprit. The second pop up to occur was Trojanalert. I looked through some online community forums and was pointed towards downloading and running AdwareMedic. My operating system does not support this program. Next I read up on how to examine libraries and extensions to find the issue. I'm not well versed in this, but I followed the directions and did not find any malicious looking extensions or items in the libraries. Before looking for the "thing" to remove, I backed up my computer as recommended.

I have never, to my knowledge, had a virus on this computer. I have never experienced pop ups, and I very rarely download any program, especially not software included with other programs.

Could someone recommend a virus/adware/malware utility that will find and remove this issue or provide me with a detailed set of instructions on how to find the issue and then correct it? Are there free online scans or removal tools that are trusted and could help? Also, if I should be posting this somewhere else, please let me know. I have not used this community tool much at all. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Posted on May 4, 2015 5:38 PM

11 replies

May 4, 2015 6:55 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

First, thanks for the quick response. This is the website that I looked at and was trying to follow. There are no extensions listed in my Safari, and the only two in Chrome are: Google Docs and Java for Browsing. In Firefox the only extension is Garmin Communicator 4.1.0.

To the best of my novice ability I followed the directions to look at the libraries and have not found malicious things there either. As I cannot upgrade to 10.7, is there anything else I'm missing? Again, I've tried my best to locate the cause, but I'm new to looking at files and paths. Nothing jumps out as abnormal or as something listed on thesafemac.com/arg .

May 5, 2015 5:41 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

Thank you again. I downloaded and ran the tool, but it didn't pick anything up. I noticed them first pop up when I was using Shutterfly, and now they intermittently pop up. If I noticed them starting last weekend, could I just restore my computer, via Time Machine, and take care of it that way? If yes, would I lose any documents I've created between the weekend and now, or does Time Machine focus on settings only?

Otherwise, I'm guessing I should ask someone to look at it. Would you agree? Thanks for your patience, I appreciate it.

May 5, 2015 7:55 AM in response to pmooney11

If yes, would I lose any documents I've created between the weekend and now,

You would lose anything that wasn't backed the last time you backed up.

Malware – Adware removal – Apple Support

Try running this program and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read.

Etrecheck – System Information

May 6, 2015 7:22 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for weighing in. Below are the results:

Problem description:

I'm currently using OSX 10.6.8, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM Memory. I am not able to upgrade the operating system, and the computer still has 67 GB of memory on the harddrive. I don't use it for anything very intense, mostly internet browsing. I was at a hotel over the weekend and connected to their free wifi. Once back home, two days later, I started receiving pop ups in Chrome (after using www.shutterfly.com). The first was MediaDownloader, so I assume that is the culprit. The second pop up to occur was Trojanalert. I looked through some online community forums and was pointed towards downloading and running AdwareMedic. My operating system does not support this program. Next I read up on how to examine libraries and extensions to find the issue. I'm not well versed in this, but I followed the directions and did not find any malicious looking extensions or items in the libraries. Before looking for the "thing" to remove, I backed up my computer as recommended.

I have never, to my knowledge, had a virus on this computer. I have never experienced pop ups, and I very rarely download any program, especially not software included with other programs.

EtreCheck version: 2.2 (132)

Report generated 5/6/15 10:21 PM

Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Hardware Information: ℹ️

MacBook (13-inch, Early 2008) (Verified)

MacBook - model: MacBook4,1

1 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2-core

2 GB RAM

BANK 0/DIMM0

1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM1

1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 1246 - SN = (null)

Video Information: ℹ️

GMA X3100 - VRAM: 144 MB

Color LCD 1280 x 800

spdisplays_display_connector

System Software: ℹ️

Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549) - Time since boot: 0:55:32

Disk Information: ℹ️

FUJITSU MHY2250BH disk0 : (232.89 GB)

- (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / : 249.58 GB (66.88 GB free)

USB Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Micron Built-in iSight

Apple Computer Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Kernel Extensions: ℹ️

/System/Library/Extensions

[not loaded] com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver (2.2.16) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.libusb.USB_Shield (6.0) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.smarttech.iokit.SMARTBoard (10) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.tectona.driver.PL2303 (1.3.0) [Click for support]

[not loaded] tw.com.Lumens.driver.LumensAudioDriver (2.0.0) [Click for support]

[not loaded] tw.com.lumens.driver.DC260MSDC (2.0.0) [Click for support]

Startup Items: ℹ️

HP IO: Path: /Library/StartupItems/HP IO

HP Trap Monitor: Path: /Library/StartupItems/HP Trap Monitor

Startup items are obsolete in OS X Yosemite

Problem System Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[not loaded] org.samba.winbindd.plist [Click for support]

Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.promethean.activhardwareservice.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.promethean.activmgr.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.promethean.flashextension.plist [Click for support]

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.google.keystone.daemon.plist [Click for support]

User Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist [Click for support]

User Login Items: ℹ️

Garmin Express Service UNKNOWN (missing value)

Garmin Lifetime Map Updater UNKNOWN (missing value)

iTunesHelper UNKNOWN Hidden (missing value)

DING! UNKNOWN (missing value)

SMARTBoardService Application (/Applications/SMART Technologies/Control Panel.app/Contents/bin/SMARTBoardService.app)

DeviceManager Application (/Applications/eInstruction/DeviceManager/DeviceManager.app)

HP Scheduler Application (/Library/Application Support/Hewlett-Packard/Software Update/HP Scheduler.app)

HPEventHandler Application (/Library/Printers/hp/hpio/HPEventHandler.app)

SMARTBoardService Application (/Applications/SMART Technologies/Control Panel.app/Contents/bin/SMARTBoardService.app)

DeviceManager Application (/Applications/eInstruction/DeviceManager/DeviceManager.app)

Garmin Express Service UNKNOWN (missing value)

Garmin Lifetime Map Updater UNKNOWN (missing value)

iTunesHelper UNKNOWN (missing value)

DING! UNKNOWN (missing value)

HP Scheduler Application (/Library/Application Support/Hewlett-Packard/Software Update/HP Scheduler.app)

HPEventHandler Application (/Library/Printers/hp/hpio/HPEventHandler.app)

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

DirectorShockwave: Version: 12.0.3r133 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

o1dbrowserplugin: Version: 5.38.6.0 - SDK 10.8 [Click for support]

Google Earth Web Plug-in: Version: 7.1 [Click for support]

OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin: Version: 12.3.6 [Click for support]

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin: Version: 2.3.1.2 [Click for support]

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: Version: 10.1.13 [Click for support]

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 11.9.900.152 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Silverlight: Version: 5.1.20913.0 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Flash Player: Version: 11.9.900.152 - SDK 10.6 Outdated! Update

iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0

googletalkbrowserplugin: Version: 5.38.6.0 - SDK 10.8 [Click for support]

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.6.6

AdobePDFViewer: Version: 10.1.13 [Click for support]

GarminGpsControl: Version: 4.0.4.0 Release - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: 13.9.8 - SDK 10.6 Check version

User internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

Move-Media-Player: Version: npmnqmp 071701000001 [Click for support]

fbplugin_1_0_3: Version: Unknown [Click for support]

Audio Plug-ins: ℹ️

iSightAudio: Version: 7.6.6

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

Flash Player [Click for support]

Flip4Mac WMV [Click for support]

SMART Board [Click for support]

Time Machine: ℹ️

Time Machine information requires OS X 10.7 "Lion" or later.

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

9% JavaApplicationStub

3% WindowServer

1% flashbridge-wrapper-crossplatform

1% Google Chrome Helper(8)

1% fontd

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

715 MB Google Chrome Helper(8)

184 MB Google Chrome

51 MB JavaApplicationStub

43 MB DashboardClient

41 MB mds

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

210 MB Free RAM

1.79 GB Used RAM

28 MB Swap Used

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️

May 6, 2015, 09:23:37 PM Self test - passed

Jun 9, 2015 7:31 PM in response to pmooney11

Nothing has really helped. I tried to use Time Machine to reset my computer to a backup that existed before I started experiencing problems. However, there is not enough space on my hard drive to complete the backup. Are there certain folders or programs that I should replace with Time Machine that could take car of the problem?

Jun 10, 2015 4:36 AM in response to pmooney11

There's nothing really concerning in your EtreCheck report. No adware, as far as I can tell. Certainly nothing that I'm already familiar with, and nothing that looks likely to be new adware, though I can't be 100% certain.

I'm unclear on exactly what the problem is. One of the pop-ups you describe sounds like it could be a tech support scam. See:

Tech support scam pop-ups

If that's not the problem, and you're having a lot of ads, pop-ups and/or redirects, you may have a hacked network rather than adware:

http://www.adwaremedic.com/kb/hackedrouter.php

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

Using OSX 10.6.8, recently been having popups, think it's adware/malware from MediaDownloader, one of the first pop ups to occur. The second pop up to occur was Trojanalert. Never had a virus on this computer. Please help remove.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.