Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong name on text

I have an Apple ID that is shared by my older son on his iPhone and my younger on his iPad. I no longer have an iOS device.

When my older son texts my mother, who also has an iPhone, it shows on her phone as if it's coming from me. The only reason I can think why is that we share the Apple ID, but he is set up on her phone as a contact. Does anyone have an idea why it might be doing this?

Posted on May 4, 2015 7:07 PM

1 reply

May 6, 2015 3:03 PM in response to Girevik

Hi Girevik,

Messages uses the information associated with the Apple ID, which is why your mother is seeing your name and not your son's. It's great to use the same Apple ID for iTunes Store purchases. But for iCloud (Messages, Contacts, Calendars, Backups, etc.) I would recommend your tow songs have their own Apple ID.

Get help signing in to FaceTime, Game Center, Messages - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204408

Make sure that you're using a valid Apple ID at My Apple ID. You can also create an Apple ID or reset your password from My Apple ID. You should also check these things while you're signed in:

• Make sure that the email address for your Apple ID has been verified.
  • Check your email address:
    • Check the spelling of the email address.
    • Make sure that all letters are lower case.
    • Make sure that special characters are correct (for example, no commas (,) where there should be full stops (.)).

Note: You might experience issues if your email address is associated with more than one Apple ID. If you have multiple Apple IDs, log in to My Apple ID with each Apple ID and confirm that each email address you wish to use for FaceTime or Messages is associated with only a single Apple ID.

Hope that helps ...

- Judy

Wrong name on text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.