Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore iphone 5s after family member death, no password..

Recently a family member has passed and we can't access his phone. I do not want to actually get into the phone, or retrieve the data, I would just like to restore to factory settings so that it can be reused by someone else. I connected it to itunes and I restored it, but now it needs the apple id still. I know his email associated with it, but I do not know the password. Also, it appears the email address has been deleted (Gmail). I just want to restore the phone so that it can be used, but right now it is completely unusable. How can I reset it so that the apple id is not associated with it?

iPhone 5s

Posted on May 4, 2015 7:51 PM

2 replies

May 4, 2015 7:57 PM in response to ryantrog88

Please contact Apple Support at 800-275-2273 7 days a week 8AM - 11PM EDT and request to delete the Apple ID for your Family member that has passed. They may ask for a Death Certificate. Please do not get offended by that. It's for security purposes and for the protection of the identity. My thoughts are with you and your family.

After the Apple ID has been successfully deleted they can also walk you through restoring the device and deleting that Apple ID associated with the iPhone 5S

Restore iphone 5s after family member death, no password..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.