Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multi-facet challenge: change computers and migrate library

I have a multi-facet problem to solve. I currently manage my video/music/photos library with iTunes via a Windows 7 Home Premium PC. My library is stored in a wired external hard drive, Western Digital (along with other content). I am switching to a MacBook Air (new model). I am a first time user of a Mac! Here is my challenge (would love some advise on how to do the below and best sequence):

a) Swap my PC with the MacBook and have iTunes now run on MacBook Air and read from the current external wired hard disk.

We also have 1 iPad, 3 iPods and 1 iPhone 6plus. All devices, iTunes and the iTunes store use the same account.

b) I then need to install a NEW wireless Western Digital MyCloud 3T drive in the Mac Book Air

c) Then I need to move my library (ie. the content itself) from the current wired external hard drive to the new MyCloud one. I then need to redirect iTunes to read the content from the new MyCloud drive.

MacBook Air

Posted on May 4, 2015 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 8:58 PM

Moving libraries about is simple if you use iTunes' default preferences settings for organizing your media. Moving a library: Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive. Hold down the option (alt) key (shift on Windows) and open iTunes. At the prompt to create or choose a library choose the copied iTunes folder.

If you do not use iTunes default preferences you will also need to make sure the library files get copied to the external. Ideally make sure the library is portable for future moves. turingtest2 article: Make a split library portable - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-7392

The problem you will encounter will be when you try to use your current external drive with a Mac. It will likely be formatted NTFS. Macs cannot write to NTFS, only read, and you will get error messages about your library being on a locked drive. It is just possible your drive is formatted FAT, but you would have had to have done that deliberately. FAT will work with a Mac (and PC) but is not ideal (particularly since Mac repair utilities will not repair FAT). In the long run you will have to store your library on another drive while you reformat the external to Mac extended. Either that or simply store it unused where it is on the external and make sure the new drive is formatted Mac for use.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2015 8:58 PM in response to jose zuniga

Moving libraries about is simple if you use iTunes' default preferences settings for organizing your media. Moving a library: Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive. Hold down the option (alt) key (shift on Windows) and open iTunes. At the prompt to create or choose a library choose the copied iTunes folder.

If you do not use iTunes default preferences you will also need to make sure the library files get copied to the external. Ideally make sure the library is portable for future moves. turingtest2 article: Make a split library portable - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-7392

The problem you will encounter will be when you try to use your current external drive with a Mac. It will likely be formatted NTFS. Macs cannot write to NTFS, only read, and you will get error messages about your library being on a locked drive. It is just possible your drive is formatted FAT, but you would have had to have done that deliberately. FAT will work with a Mac (and PC) but is not ideal (particularly since Mac repair utilities will not repair FAT). In the long run you will have to store your library on another drive while you reformat the external to Mac extended. Either that or simply store it unused where it is on the external and make sure the new drive is formatted Mac for use.

Multi-facet challenge: change computers and migrate library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.