Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.1.2 and iOS 8.3 artist bug

In my iTunes Library on my Mac (iTunes is updated to the newest version) it seems that everything is correct concerning the names of the artists, album artists, song titles, album titles and so on (on every album). I only have music purchased on the iTunes Store. But never the less on my iPhone some albums display wrong artist (song artist). I haven't tested this on every album, just a few.

One example is the album "John Wesley Harding" by Bob Dylan. All songs on this album is by Bob Dylan and he is therefore listed as both song artist and album artist on every song. However, when I play the album on my iPhone and iPad it says that the album artist is Bob Dylan but on every song it says that the song artist is Bob Dylan feat. Johnny Cash. This is weird since Johnny Cash is not featured on any of the songs on the album and everything is correctly labeled in iTunes on the Mac. I know I have one song on the "Essential Johnny Cash" album where one song, "Girl from the North Country", is labeled with Bob Dylan feat. Johnny Cash as song artist (but not album artist since this is Johnny Cash on this album). When I tried playing the "Essential Johnny Cash" album on my iPhone and iPad it says that every song has the song artist Johnny Cash with June Carter even though it (again) is correctly labeled on iTunes on my Mac.

This must be a bug since I haven't changed any data on these albums. And earlier they have shown the correct song artists on every song. Both albums have been on my Mac, iPhone and iPad since forever.

I tried to delete all music on my iPhone and iPad and sync again, but it didn't help. I'm really getting frustrated with Apple, iTunes and the Music app on the iPhone/iPad since there seems to always be some bugs. I remember the play count bug when iOS 8 first was released. Apple needs to put their efforts into improving their existing products and making them stable instead of using their time on dead end products like Apple Watch (but that's just my opinion).

Does anyone have a solution to my problem? I will of course report it to Apple via the support pages.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, iTunes 12

Posted on May 5, 2015 1:17 AM

4 replies

May 7, 2015 1:08 AM in response to anders.kongsli

The same thing has been happening to me over the past month. For example, if Ludacris and Jay-Z collaborated on one song, every Ludacris song will be shown as "Ludacris & Jay-Z" as the artist on my iPhone 6 Plus. A more dramatic problem is sometimes an artist that has nothing to do with a song or the original artist will appear. Every Snoop Dogg song is labeled with David Guetta being the artist. I've done the following:

1) Went into get info to make sure everything had the correct info.

2) Deleted songs and redownloaded them. Nothing changed.

3) Actually exchanged my iPhone in the Apple Store, deleted my old back-up, and started all over again.

The odd thing is that on my iPhone 4 everything shows up as it does on iTunes.

Can anybody help or have ideas? Thanks in advance!

Jun 14, 2015 10:50 PM in response to anders.kongsli

Yep, total disaster by Apple. How can no one test these things before the update is sent out???

I too have an iPhone 4 running iOS7 and it does not have this problem.

Here's another thread with people discussing the same issue:

Re: iOS 8.2 music app displaying wrong artist for songs

My guess is that something went really wrong with Apple's database of song information and they are having trouble fixing it. Otherwise it should be a very simple fix to have the software simply display the song information which people themselves have see clearly in iTunes. Amazing.

iTunes 12.1.2 and iOS 8.3 artist bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.