Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

movies playing in iTunes will not show closed captions

I have purchased several movies from the iTunes store. They all have Closed Captioning listed in the store description. I need Closed Captioning because I have hearing loss and even with my hearing aids, I cannot hear all the dialogue in movies.

In my iTunes app, I opened Preferences-->Playback and checked the box for "Show closed captioning when available." Then I play the movie in iTunes. No captions. I click on the Controls menu for Audio & Subtitles. It's grayed out.

I go to the .m4v file in Finder and open the movie with Quicktime to see whether I can get captions that way. No captions. I check the View menu for Show Closed Captioning. It's grayed out.

At this point I'm thinking these movies do not really HAVE captions, despite what the store description said. However, this proves to be wrong because I turn on my TV and start up my Apple TV 3. I select "Movies" and then "Purchased" and find these movies. When I play these movies via the Apple TV, they all show up on the TV screen with the captions working perfectly.

So, what gives? I've spent hours searching the internet for a solution, but all I can find is that the selection I've made in iTunes preferences *should* make the captions show up in iTunes. I'm stumped. I want to play the movies on my computer in iTunes (or in Quicktime) so that I don't have to be at my house in front of my TV in order the enjoy them. Is there any way I can make these movies play in iTunes with the captions showing? Can anyone make any suggestions? I'd be very grateful if someone could help me achieve this goal.

Posted on May 4, 2015 10:15 PM

There are no replies.

movies playing in iTunes will not show closed captions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.