Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having so many problems sharing photos on Facebook

Using iPhoto with Facebook was a great way to share photos with my friends. The new Photos app with Yosemite is not so great. After figuring out that the Facebook upload limit was 50 photos (is there any way to have the number of photos selected to be displayed somewhere on the screen so that I wouldn't have to guess?), I learned that:

1. I couldn't create a new Facebook album in Photos. Instead I had to upload to the Timeline, and then change the album name from "OS X Albums." Not critical, but it would be easier for me if I new which albums on Facebook I was publishing to.

2. The photos on Facebook were uploaded out of order, necessitating some rearranging the photos after the upload. Would there be any way to upload them to Facebook in the order I intended? With 50 or more photos it would be a lot of work to get them in the right order. Having them uploaded in the correct order will save me a lot of time.

3. I also added descriptions to most of the photos. In iPhoto the descriptions would also be uploaded to Facebook as captions for each photo. The new Photos app didn't include the descriptions with the photos during the upload. I prefer to have this feature so that I can add the commentary before publishing them on Facebook. Would that still be possible? I would like it so that I wouldn't have to type up the captions twice.

Doug

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 4, 2015 8:39 PM

44 replies

Aug 18, 2015 9:53 PM in response to Yer_Man

I find it interesting that you referred dougstorms to a feature request. In my mind this is absolutely a failure and major problem with Photos. The question is WHY the change in the way it interacts with Facebook. Why make it so difficult to upload photos?

Especially #2 above... uploaded OUT OF ORDER. This is so stupidly ridiculous - and, at least for me, I was NOT able to simply drag and drop the photos for re-order. Unlike a normal Facebook album, where photos can be easily re-ordered, the photos uploaded to OSX were NOT able to be reordered. "Sorry Dude, putting photos in order is a Feature request." Really? More like a FAIL.

I would love some insight into what Apple thinks made the new Photos so much better then iPhoto. So far I am complete UNDER impressed and underwhelmed by this new software.

Cheers.

Aug 19, 2015 12:28 AM in response to RecoveringDesigner

I offered him a link that covers both feedback and feature requests. This is because his post had no questions and was feedback - rather the same as your own. So take the time to learn the difference between feedback and feature requests, and then realise that was the correct thing to do. You're welcome.

If you want insight to what Apple is thinking feel free to ask them. They're not here, only users like yourself. At a wild guess I would imagine that the whole iCloud Library, Cross Platform/seamless editing thing would be part of that. That's definitely a huge addition over iPhoto. But remember, you don't have to use the new app or iPhoto. You can choose any app that you prefer. That's what grown ups do.

Aug 23, 2015 4:20 PM in response to dougstorms

Hugely annoying, but I figured out a fix for this that I wanted to share: rather than trying to directly share your photos from Apple to Facebook, try the following:

1) In the albums or photos view within Photos, select the pix you want to get into Facebook

2) Under the File menu, choose Export -> "Export x photos"

3) If you want Facebook to receive the descriptions/captions you've given to your photos, make sure the check-box for "Include title, keywords, and description" is checked (ditto for Locations if you want FB to automatically tag photo locations)

4) In the file naming section, you can choose "Sequential" order--this re-titles the photos from 1 to ..., and helps ensure that the photos appear in the order you want them on Facebook

5) Click Export and choose a destination folder on your desktop (or wherever)

6) Now go to Facebook and click the button for " Create photo album" and choose the pix in your exported folder...from here, Facebook takes over and it's really easy to tag your photos and then post the album.

Hope this helps!

Sep 6, 2015 5:42 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence - I get why you're annoyed. But the point is still valid: Apple did screw-up a perfectly good Facebook exporter. It's worse in Photos than it was before. Unless the blame can be placed on Facebook for changing its import protocol, I think the geniuses in Cupertino made the awful mistake of "fixing what ain't broke" and broke it.

Sep 19, 2015 11:10 AM in response to dougstorms

There seems to be 2 requirements for Apple Photos albums to be shared to Facebook

Previously when I shared photos, I would simply select them in iPhoto and find the share menu to share to Facebook. With Photos, I found that Facebook was not an option in the menu.

If you do the following, you will be able to share.

1) Check that Facebook is set up as an Internet account in System preferences\Internet Accounts

2) The number of photos that you can share is limited to 50 - no idea if this is new to Photos or not. For all I know I may never have tried to share more than 50 photos.

If either of the the above 2 requirements is not met, Facebook will not appear in the Share menu in Photos. But once they are met, it works.

Sep 27, 2015 7:50 AM in response to dougstorms

I have the opposite problem of trying to download a facebook album to Photos. We recently had a family reunion and created a shared album for everyone to post their photos. There are about 200 that I want to bring into Photos, so copying each one is pretty difficult and maddening when it should be easy. Does anyone have any suggestion for copying the album without all the manual labor doing it one at a time would entail? Thanks.

Oct 21, 2015 9:36 AM in response to marileefromalexandria

I have a problem with trying to add photos to a facebook photo album that was already begun before updating to Yosemite/El Capitan. The apple photos are not available to select as image files, so the photos in Apple Photos are not even visible in the selection window. When I navigate there, the app is visible, but greyed out and cannot be selected. Anyone have an idea for a fix?

Jan 3, 2016 10:59 PM in response to dougstorms

I just uploaded some holiday photos to Facebook that I spent an hour writing titles for. Do you think those titles made it over?

If you guessed "no" , you are correct!

I've been sober for almost a decade now, but Photos has pushed me to the edge where I might just become an alcoholic.

I think what confuses most people is that this was not a problem before. Perhaps they needed to port the Facebook sharing code to a new framework or language , but isn't some obscure feature that could easily be forgotten. If they could do it before, there is no reason they cannot do it now, ceterus paribus.

Jan 4, 2016 6:44 PM in response to dougstorms

I used to use Aperture and spent money to do so. I loved the workflow I had, and now that I have updated to El Capitan, I can no longer use Aperture. My productivity when it comes to organization has gone down 90%. Aperture was really great in my opinion, it had a few things to be fixed, like all software, but Apple scrapped it in favor of a dumbed down Photos "app" that while it has some advanced features if you can find them, I wish so badly that they'll release a new version of Aperture for all the other people that aren't happy with Apple's new direction. I've learned to live with it for now, since my Aperture and iPhoto libraries have been converted over, but I'm looking for a way out for sure. I tried uploading to Facebook today, found the 50 image limit, then after uploading about 200 photos, I looked on Facebook only to find most photos were cut off. anywhere from 20% to 80% whitespace on each photo where a that piece of each photo never made it to Facebook. Location information, and descriptions, aren't there either. Apple needs to get it together before they stop supporting a working program that's been adopted by so many photographers. I've given Photos a fair shot, but I need a replacement for Aperture. It may be fine for most people, but it's just not good enough when you work with hundreds or thousands of photos each month.

Jan 5, 2016 12:45 AM in response to mkelley88

If you have an up-to-date version of Aperture you can run it on EL Capitan.

Apple didn't "replace" Aperture with anything. They just stopped making serious photography software. You don't replace an $80 app with a free, giveaway. There is nothing in Photos for a serious Aperture user. If you want anything approaching the features of Aperture then you need to buy a 3rd party app - LR, Capture One etc.

The forum for Photos is here

Photos for Mac

Having so many problems sharing photos on Facebook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.