Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my 2008 Mac Pro achieve 10 GBit network speed if Boot SSD is placed at PCIe Buss?

Hi,

I have a 2008 Mac Pro that I would like to hook a Thunderbolt audio interface to. I know that I cannot make my computer have a thunderbolt card, BUT I believe I could achieve Thunderbolt connectivity if I insert a 10GBit Network card into my unit and use a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adaptor. I know that a device is only as fast as its slowest unit so I am contemplating putting a Mercury Accelsior E2 in one of my PCIe slots. Am I right in this assumption? Is there a 10 GBit network card that has drivers for Mac? If so are there any recommendations as to how I should go about the process? Are there any recommended cards/companies?....Ect...

Thanks in advance,

Chase

P.S.

Yosemite

2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

16 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM Ram

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 4, 2015 9:24 PM

5 replies

May 4, 2015 10:56 PM in response to Chaseh.Cannonsounds

I've wanted to do a similiar thing, to use Thunderbolt devices with my Mac Pro, however since the 2008 Mac Pro does not support Thunderbolt as the logic board does not support it. In short it is impossible to run a thunderbolt connection directly to that model, and a card to enable Thunderbolt on that model has not been released by any manufacturer – I looked extensively myself a few months ago.

However if your Thunderbolt device also supports Firewire or USB, then it should be connectable via that method.

May 5, 2015 5:45 AM in response to Chaseh.Cannonsounds

There is absolutely no way to add Thunderbolt to a classic Mac Pro. There are no cards, no adapters, nothing that will do this and likely never will be.

The Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter as its name says is to go from Thunderbolt to Ethernet, if it was a hypothetical Ethernet to Thunderbolt adapter then that is the order its name would have.

Note: The various Thunderbolt to 10Gbps Ethernet adapters e.g. this one http://www.sonnettech.com/product/twin10g.html again go from Thunderbolt to 10GbpsEthernet.

Note: The various PCI expansion box adapters like this http://www.sonnettech.com/Product/echoexpressse2.html go from Thunderbolt to a PCI expansion box.

If you want to add an audio interface to a classic Mac Pro you have to use either a USB adapter, FireWire adapter or a PCIe card. If you want to add a 10Gbps Ethernet interface to a classic Mac Pro you need to use a PCIe card like this one which does have Mac drivers for it http://www.sonnettech.com/product/presto10gbe.html

Depending on what your doing - yes having a faster storage system for your classic Mac Pro like the Accelsior Mercury card would be a help.

Can my 2008 Mac Pro achieve 10 GBit network speed if Boot SSD is placed at PCIe Buss?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.