Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why did my iphone 6 rename itself?

Its been a while since I plugged my iPhone 6 into my iMac to offload some photos and videos. But I unexpectedly got a message telling me to tap Trust on my iPhone. I then noticed my iPhone had a new name. It was always just "iPhone", but now it's "iPhone (3)". Very strange. The only guess I have to how this happened is that once in a while since I got my phone in December, I have had to re-enter my Apple account password. I think it's happened at least 8 times. It may be a completely different issue. But its the only guess I have to this. I unplugged my phone and didn't offload my photos and videos yet for fear my phone has been hacked. I'm confident it hasn't but I want to play it safe.

I guess another possibility is when I've updated iOS. That has happened 2 or 3 times since I got the phone.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you.

Jim

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 4, 2015 9:24 PM

2 replies

May 4, 2015 9:30 PM in response to preshead

This behavior may be related to the automatic creation of backups when an iOS device is connected to a Mac or PC. If you select the iTunes menu on you Mac and view Preferences then Devices I suspect you'll notice that each back up of your device is listed as iPhone, then iPhone(1), iPhone(2), and so on. You can alter the name of your device in the Settings app on the device itself under General, then About. Simply tap on the displayed name and enter whatever makes you happy!

why did my iphone 6 rename itself?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.