Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't select anything.

I have an Indigo G3 that when I go install Mac OS 9.2 it boots to the CD screen, but when I click anything it only highlights in black and does nothing else. I checked the drive with my PowerBook and it's fine. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on May 4, 2015 10:13 PM

5 replies

May 4, 2015 10:53 PM in response to Intriguingalero

Was the computer's firmware updated prior to running OS9.2.2, back in an original

Mac OS 8.x? Had the computer been forced to boot from an OS X install DVD and

not have the firmware update applied beforehand? This may have some bearing.

There may be some kind of hardware issue that would not allow the computer to

start or use the install CD. If there is any kind of included hardware test or a third

party test on CD that may be booted by the computer (some tests had a small OS

partition that could run the computer w/o an OS installed in the Mac) from that era

you may be able to see if a disk utility may be needed to correctly format or test

the drive. There may be some other problem, as those CRT iMac G3 models did

have problems with fly-back converters and graphic hardware failure...

However I have no specific method to offer, from which to proceed in this matter. 😐

May 5, 2015 8:33 AM in response to K Shaffer

Alright well I got it to install 9.2, but I am still having the selection issue. I had to go to , file then open in order to get things to open, but it can't read my music CDs even though iTunes is on and it insists that the iTunes that is on it requires Quicktime 3 while Quicktime asks for version 5. Sorry I am new to Mac OS 9.2 and this is pretty alien to me.

May 5, 2015 9:57 AM in response to Intriguingalero

Some issues may result from the method of installation, if not from a retail CD source;

there are specific extensions and other system parts that may not be installed or were

improper if available. Was 9.2 CD a retail disc, or grey one, from a different computer?

What are the specifications of the white iBook G3 you have? I'm assuming if it's white

the unit is at least 500MHz, if the first of that build series, with very little RAM onboard.

Awhile back, I had a first-edition white iBook G3 500MHz model (dual USB) when re-sold

it was running OS X 10.3.9 & MacOS 9.2.2. It did OK, w/ 576MB RAM. It preferred 9.2.2.

Stock hard drive was only 10GB, and it shipped with CD-ROM optical drive. If you have

one of these, their production started in May 2001; and the appearance stayed the same

from then until the end of iBook G4 production in mid-2005.

Not sure why you cannot select anything, or what exactly may cause the situation.

• Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU) - Apple Support

You could attempt to reset Power Management Unit. You could see if a USB keyboard

may help, if the keyboard & trackpad may be acting up, use USB wired peripherals.

The PMU reset may or may not affect the issue you're experiencing with this unit.😐

May 5, 2015 6:48 PM in response to Intriguingalero

Oh...

That reply wasn't even intended for this thread.

Maybe I could get a Host to delete my post? LOL!

OK, there was a confusion that carried over between two posts I was looking into (and elsewhere.)

There was another thread in iBook -- that had an issue -- with different troubleshooting. So the mixup.

Then I had to drive an elder to hours-long medical appointments, just got back. Sorry about that.

Usually between this that and the other thing, I spend most days helping semi-invalid elder parent.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_G3

A new clock battery on the logic board may help resolve some startup issues, if it is dead

or very weak. Or if the computer had a later OS X installed but the Firmware Update was

not installed first in an original Mac OS running in the computer, a symptom of this failure

is a black screen and nothing else on boot-up. Some users were able to connect external

display (on models with external port) to help troubleshoot this issue. Others not so much.

(I've only owned & repaired, then donated about 300+ Macs and then got away from that

for awhile. Most of these I've owned more than a few of, and hadn't owned a computer

prior to getting one that needed work. Then, at one time I had a room with 75 in it. but that

was never in a business or other location, just where I lived. All repaired, & working... So

it was a big disappointment for me to get a new computer with AppleCare and found there

was no Apple Store or decent authorized repair company who'd handle issues with it. And

as I wasn't certified, I could not fix it while under Apple warranty, either. I have a few that

need repair, but I don't have time now for that, or for me.)

Anyway, I'm expected to do other things, elsewhere; and so I'm going offline again.

Sorry for the mess-up in adding a reply here, that wasn't for your Mac at all...! 😝

Can't select anything.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.