Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question regarding Bootcamp, Windows 10 and Fusion drive

I have a fusion drive where I have installed Windows 8 in addition to OSX (OSX resides on the SSD part of the disk ofcourse).

I was not able to use the tool provided by Apple in order to create the bootcamp partition (It didn't work) and I had to manually build the partition table which took a whole day to get right...

Anyways, does anyone have any experience with what happens when jumping a full version with a windows upgrade (from 7 to 8, from vista to 7 and so on) on a bootcamp setup as described above?

The big risk here is the fusion drive part of the setup.

If a windows upgrade to a new version of windows in any way touches the bootloader or partition table it will mess up the boot...

Kind regards

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on May 4, 2015 10:55 PM

1 reply

May 5, 2015 4:07 AM in response to duplodude

Once Windows is installed, it is self-contained and works with the underlying hardware via the EFI Firmware. The Yosemite 10.10.3 Recovery Update has caused some issues with Windows, but usually, there is no interaction between the two.

Windows7-to-8+ upgrade should work, you need to ensure that the BC drivers are all in place on W7, before you upgrade. Stay away from Windows Driver updates and keep a USB with Windows8+ BC drivers handy. You cannot upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit versions, which requires a clean install.

Please also see Boot Camp 5.1: Frequently asked questions - Apple Support.

Question regarding Bootcamp, Windows 10 and Fusion drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.