Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cracking noise in Logic Pro X

I've had my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13", End of 2013) for quite over a year now and I've been using Garage Band for a long time and now I switched to Logic. My problem is, that whenever I record something on Logic Pro X (and also Ableton Live 9), that after some time of recording and arranging a cracking noise appears whenever I play back the track. As soon as I export the track onto iTunes that cracking sound is gone. I tried to figure out where it came from, but nothing makes sense. At first I thought it might be my M-Audio Fast Track Pro and that it was coming from my audio lines, but the noise also appears when I'm only working with MIDI.

Please help me figuring out where it comes from, cause I would really want to perform live with Ableton, but that won't be possible with this sound problem!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 5, 2015 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 11:46 AM

I used to get crackling when the CPU or hard drive was being overloaded. If you choose "custom" in the choices in your display you can get the CPU and Hardrive monitor to show. (See the far right of this pic:)

User uploaded file

If you are doing your mixing and are done with your recording set the buffer setting in the audio preferences to 1024. This helps the CPU out a lot.

Logic is incredibly responsive to more RAM. Since maxing the RAM on my Mac MINi I have had no power issues even with multiple tracks and plugins. It would stutter at times with only 4GB.

Other things you can do: Freeze MIDI tracks. MIDI is more processor intensive and freezing the track gives you back more processing power.

Logic Pro X: Freeze tracks

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2015 11:46 AM in response to nani42

I used to get crackling when the CPU or hard drive was being overloaded. If you choose "custom" in the choices in your display you can get the CPU and Hardrive monitor to show. (See the far right of this pic:)

User uploaded file

If you are doing your mixing and are done with your recording set the buffer setting in the audio preferences to 1024. This helps the CPU out a lot.

Logic is incredibly responsive to more RAM. Since maxing the RAM on my Mac MINi I have had no power issues even with multiple tracks and plugins. It would stutter at times with only 4GB.

Other things you can do: Freeze MIDI tracks. MIDI is more processor intensive and freezing the track gives you back more processing power.

May 5, 2015 2:29 PM in response to Kurt Weber

Kurt Weber wrote:

MIDI by itself is not processor intensive...a MIDI track sent to an external instrument uses virtually no CPU, it's the AU (software based) instruments that use CPU. It's a distinction that's important to understand when managing resources.

Also, an audio track with no plugins uses virtually no CPU. It's the software based DSP plugins and AU/Logic instruments that use CPU.

May 6, 2015 2:41 PM in response to nani42

Not used that program at all. Sorry. Ableton Live probably has a buffer setting you can play with. Most do. Higher buffer means more latency so you need to play with it to see what you can live with and still keep the live performance accurate.

If you have 4GB of RAM or less consider getting more. I am using a very taxing piano AU instrument plugin that wouldn't even work properly when the buffer was lower than the maximum. With 16GB of RAM the plugin works beautifully even on the 128 samples buffer setting. There are other tricks to conserving power: Bouncing tracks down (ones you do not need to change) to a single track. Use less processor intensive plugins on single tracks. Sometimes the plugins themselves have a lower CPU setting. For example, iZotope Ozone has a track setting and mixing setting. This company also sells plugins specifically for tracks or mastering. The track plugins use very little CPU, the mastering plugins, much more.

My old iBook laptop had a setting in the energy saver that would boost performance. It drained the battery on this setting like crazy but pushed the little beastie harder for Garageband. Make sure you are running your laptop at its top setting.

May 6, 2015 3:37 PM in response to Kurt Weber

Kurt Weber wrote:

This is just semantics since you have to have an instrument to get the MIDI to sound.

Actually, in fairness to Pancenter, it's not semantics...

What he said it both very important and something many people misunderstand...

Midi in itself, is not CPU intensive....

A Software instrument or FX Plugin controlled by Midi, can be CPU intensive.. but not Midi itself... and as SI's vary wildly in how cpu intensive they are... not just from plugin to plugin.. but from preset to preset within a single SI.. then it's an important distinction to make and bear in mind...

Also... An external Instrument controlled by Midi (which is coming back into 'fashion' these days with the advent of more affordable hardware systems) takes little or no CPU resources...

So again. it's not Midi but SI / FX plugin processing itself, that is or can be CPU draining... depending on the SI/FX used or the programming of the SI/FX itself... and stating it's Midi as a blanket statement, is very misleading and can easily confuse those who are less aware of how things work with a DAW such as Logic.

May 6, 2015 4:31 PM in response to Kurt Weber

Aye..

At this years Winter NAMM and at Musikmesse 2015, there was an explosion of new, and relatively cheap Eurorack/Modular Systems.... Plus Korg and Roland are pushing out new cheap module type synths at a great pace these days.... (The Volca range for example) and remakes of older popular synths like the ARP Odyssey, Korg MS 20, or crossover synths like the Roland JD-XA and Aria Modular systems...

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/category/electronic-music-gear/modular-synthes izers-electronic-music-gear/

and that's without mentioning the ever growing list of boutique type synths.....

http://www.analoguehaven.com/what/

It's a new world out there 🙂

Cheers..

Nigel

Cracking noise in Logic Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.