Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i do a virus scan?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on May 4, 2015 10:14 PM

23 replies

May 4, 2015 10:37 PM in response to mac reporter

If you share files with Windows OS, that may be carriers of some viri that may affect a friend's

Windows PC, you could see if there are any of them in your Mac (which will not affect it) by

using a simple application to isolate and remove them from the Mac OS X.

"The Free Anti-Virus Solution for Mac OS X"

•ClamXav:

http://www.clamxav.com/

If you are running Windows OS in a partition, via BootCamp, or in a virtual machine, you may

choose to seek & run a Windows-specific antivirus agent or a malware, for that OS only.

For Adware issues, and some kinds of Malware you can get from web sites or bad files you

may have gotten from sharing sites, bittorrent, or sites that substitute doctored applications

and offer them instead of the real thing; you could look into the pages at TheSafeMac.com

•Tech Guides - the safe mac (adware, malware, + performance guides) plus link to adware medic.

http://www.thesafemac.com/tech-guides/

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

May 4, 2015 11:08 PM in response to dwb

i guess my specific questions is this: is there a mac-approved method/piece of software/app that i can use to do a scan to see if i have a problem, and that will fix it if i do? kind of a one-time deal?

here's my thing: i run a website. my web host (BlueHost) this evening blocked my ip address from seeing my site, from accessing my control panel for my site telling me they detected suspicious activity coming from my ip address … and that i need to do a virus/malware scan and let them know i've done that before they will unblock me

i've used a mac for more than 10 years. i've never installed virus protection, nor done a scan for virus's/malware, and i know nothing about the topic

it's just me. one laptop, one satellite dish internet connection (exede), not wifi, and no other machine or person using any of it.

the only other thing that makes me wonder if perhaps my computer has been "infected" is i've been using up my data allotment from my internet provider really fast lately, and in speaking with them, there's no good reason for it, as almost all i do is browse. don't watch movies online or anything.

so, is there a mac-approved way to deal with this? thanks in advance.

May 5, 2015 3:55 AM in response to mac reporter

VirusBarrier Express is a manual run program like ClamXav. Both depend on malware definitions being up to date and accurate which has been a problem with ClamXav in the past but apparently this has been dealt with. I use a program called LittleSnitch which watches the ports software sends data out. I began using this years ago when I was on a metered service and trying to get a handle on what programs was sending data home and how much. It sounds like this program might be of benefit to you, especially if scans show nothing.

May 5, 2015 5:08 AM in response to mac reporter

It's extremely unlikely that your Mac is infected with any kind of malware. There is no known malware capable of infecting an up-to-date Mac system at this time. It's conceivable that you could have gotten infected with something last year, during one of the very brief windows when new malware existed that wasn't blocked yet. However, if that were the case, it would be hard to explain why this problem only appeared just now, and how the malware is still working when the command & control servers that any malware was using last year have been shut down.

It's also conceivable that you could have some brand new, never-before-seen malware. This is unlikely, but if it were the case, anti-virus software wouldn't help. Anti-virus software doesn't detect brand new malware. One option would be to erase your hard drive and reinstall the system and all apps from scratch... this would wipe out any possible malware. This is an extreme measure to solve an unlikely problem, though, so it wouldn't be what I'd recommend doing.

The most likely explanation is that this is a false positive of some kind. You need to contact your host and find out exactly what they saw that they think is malicious activity. Let us know what they tell you.

May 5, 2015 8:00 PM in response to dwb

dwb wrote:

VirusBarrier Express is a manual run program

Note that VB Express has been removed from the App Store by Intego, although they have said they will continue to provide current users with definition updates for now. It might somehow be available from some software download consolidators, but stay away from the Adware distribution sites such as C|Net's download.com and Softonic

May 6, 2015 5:02 AM in response to Dewald 0101

Dewald 0101 wrote:

Mac can not get a virus at all due to the OS system is built on a unix based.

That is not true at all. There is nothing about a Mac or a Unix system that makes it impervious to malware. There has been malware for Mac repeatedly in the past, and there will be more malware again in the future. The reasons not to use anti-virus software have nothing to do with any mythical imperviousness of Mac OS X, and everything to do with the fact that anti-virus software won't do you any good at all, since it won't catch that new malware when it appears.

May 6, 2015 9:28 AM in response to Dewald 0101

Dewald 0101 wrote:

Half true, malware can get on the mac but can not damage your mac.

Physically, no. That doesn't happen in the Windows world either, though.

Malware certainly can do plenty of damage on the Mac, though. Once malware is on your system, it can do whatever it likes. It could trash the system, encrypt your files and hold them for ransom, steal your data, etc. The fact that the system in question is running Mac OS X doesn't change that.

Mac can not get a code virus like windows...lol.

I don't know what you're calling a "code virus." There's no such term.

And the unix system is based on linux

Other way around, there. Linux is based on Unix, as is Mac OS X. Of course, that's completely irrelevant to this discussion. There's malware out there for Linux as well, just not as much of it.

On each start up mac moves important system files around so that malware or anything else can damage it.

That's complete and utter nonsense. Mac OS X does NOT move system files around at all, much less as a mechanism for protecting against malware.

May 6, 2015 10:14 AM in response to Dewald 0101

Dewald 0101 wrote:

Im an apple istore technician, our training and my knowledge....everything is said is not utter nonsense, I know much more than the inside of the system.

Apple's stores are called "Apple Stores." Apple Stores are sometimes incorrectly called "iStores," but one would hope that a genuine Apple tech would know the correct name. I don't think you are who you claim to be. Certainly, the technical information you're purveying here is completely wrong.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.