Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud photo library won't upload anymore

I have iCloud photo library enabled on my iPhone and have around 80GB of free space available.

Last Week I went on a trip and took around a lot of Photos. Everytime I was on a public WiFi I checked in Settings-> iCloud -> Photos whether photos were uploading or not.

They were not. In fact, all it did was show me these messages in a loop:

xxxObjects waiting for upload" and "Uploading 2324 objects" with a progress bar that would go from 0% to aorund 40% and then diappear again.

I can't seem to break this loop. Tried restarting the phone.

The photos don't show up on iCloud.com as well as Photos.app on my iMac.

But I can create a shared album from the photos and sahre it with others. That ttmust mean, they are somewhere in the iCloud.

I dare not disaling and enabling the iCloud photo library feature as I fear I might lose my photos.

Any suggestions?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 4, 2015 11:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2015 7:46 PM

Same problem. Hoping there's a fix for it soon.

15 replies

May 15, 2015 1:01 AM in response to zamponi

Same here. It worked OK for some time. Now it's stuck in a loop of "X items to upload. Uploading X items". But nothing happens. If I go to Settings>photos the bar is just going from about 5% to about 40%, then says "preparing X items", then just goes back to this 5-40% jump and back to "preparing...". Tried to restart, tried to 'reset restart' (home and power pressed till reboot) - nothing helps.

PS: In fact I Must say from 6 devices i Have (iPhone, iPad Air 2, iPad mini, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro and MacBook Air 11) none worked with iCloud Photo library without problems. Sometimes they where small, sometimes it's quiet a mess that required me to do all sort of reloading, switching library on and off and so on. Extremely buggy service which costs more than other cloud solutions. Bad done Apple. Instead of pushing a new system each year you should release at least one cloud things that "just works".

May 25, 2015 11:23 AM in response to Promiceus

same situation lately. the first sync worked well and 17000+ photos uploaded and synced between my MBP and my iphone 6. my ipad mini is in the middle of uploading as i just updated it to iOS 8.3.

I just noticed recently that some photos that were added to my MBP photos app were not showing up on my iphone, but did show up on my ipad mini. my iphone now appears to be "stuck" with the message:

"250 items to Upload 66 Items to Download"

MBP, iPhone 6, iPad mini all with lastest updates installed. already rebooted MBP, and both iOS devices.

Jun 1, 2015 4:32 PM in response to zamponi

I'm having the same problem on my iPhone 6. Had this happen when I first turned on iCloud photo library. My iMac, MBA, and iPad Mini 2 all worked fine, but my phone got stuck waiting to upload xxx and downloading xxx... Eventually turned off iCloud photo library sync, removed all the pics from my phone (except those that were recently taken on the iPhone), and turned iCloud photo library back on.. That fixed the problem then.

Recently (within the past 10 days) I noticed my phone had stopped syncing again. I tried the previous fix, but all it hasn't started syncing again. I'm stuck with "108 items to upload - 21,494 Items to download".

Glad I'm not the only one having the problem.. Was thinking it was a problem on my end.

Lately I've been just plugging my phone into my iMac to copy the pictures into my "main" library... The iMac still appears to upload to the iCloud Photo Library.

Jun 21, 2015 9:13 AM in response to Robert Myers8

I have the same problem on my iPhone 6 plus and have had it for over a month. Apple support has not been able to help. I have reset network settings, turned on and off the iCloud. These only reset everything and it tries to check the synch on all the photos alreadiy in iCloud photos library, but does not upload the latest photos from my phone, nor download the latest photos in iCloud photo library.

My wife's iPhone and iPad work fine. we use the same account. A photo taken on either will upload to the iCloud, then in the photos app on the other device it can be seen. this is so frustrating as it has gone unsolved for so long.

Jun 26, 2015 12:25 AM in response to zamponi

I Just solved this problem on my iPad. The problem was a single image that had somehow become corrupted during upload and was clogging the system.

I had 100 holiday photos on the iPad that were not uploading to iCloud even after 3 weeks. I looked at Photos on my iPhone and found the last photo that had been uploaded from the iPad to iCloud. The next image was a blank with a cloud icon in the corner. This image would not load on the iPhone. Back on the iPad, I found the offending image and deleted it, deleting it from the deleted images folder as well. As soon as I did that my backlog of photos started uploading.

We had been using some very flakey free wifi at the time so that could have been the trigger for the problem. I emailed the offending photo to myself and will load it back in one everything else has updated.

Cheers

bruce

Jul 26, 2015 9:02 AM in response to Bruce Bowden

Thanks, Bruce!

In my case my holiday photos were from my iPhone 6.

From your solution, I looked for and found the photo that was giving the problem of upload from my iPhone 6 being stuck for days: I suspected the culprit photo was the last one uploaded from my iPhone to the iCloud Photo Library -- because in the Photos app on my MacBook this photo had an error ("Can't download Photo: An error occurred while downloading a larger version of this photo.." with an exclamation mark warning at the bottom right of the photo).

I deleted this offending photo on the iPhone (yes, I deleted it on the iPhone, not on the MacBook), and again deleted the problem photo from the Recently Deleted album (then thought of making sure by doing a force-restart of the iPhone). After that the backlog of photos from the iPhone started uploading again!

Come to think of it, I was on flakey wifi during the holiday, too, when that last photo was uploaded. But in my case I had no blank image with a cloud icon after it...

Aug 10, 2015 12:11 PM in response to Bruce Bowden

Thanks, Bruce!

It was a pic on my Iphone 5s. I just needed to check which picture couldn't be fully downloaded on my mac photos app > delete it on my iphone > delete it on my iphone's 'recently deleted' folder. Done! Just after these steps it started uploading the remaining pics.

In my case it may have been a corrupted pictured edit (crop, color adjustments).

Again, in case you receive xxx items to upload messages: There's no need to delete/remove your library!

Cheers,

Erwin

Sep 17, 2015 5:01 PM in response to Bruce Bowden

Hello everyone having problems uploading photo's to Icloud.

If you are still having problems, I just figured it out. It's Apple's operating system. The IOS 8 is the problem as to why photo's and videos won't upload to the Icloud. I just did the new update, IOS9 and things are now in ICloud. I've had this problem for weeks and have been given the run around from Apple. So I just called and told them it's on their end, not on the customer end.

So I hope this helps all of you or future viewers of this post.

Peace,

Lilbubfan222

Nov 19, 2016 11:41 PM in response to zamponi

Thank you so much, your post has really helped. I had 25 photos that were not uploading and I tried all the reboots etc I could think of but without success. All sorted now after the following: duplicated the first two photos that won't upload, deleted the originals and hey presto in seconds they flew into the sky! The two bad boys had been taken at a friends house (logged into his wifi). Anyway, your message was the catalyst and job done! Thanks, Chris

iCloud photo library won't upload anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.