Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I paint my Iphone 5c?

Hello

I went and got myself an Iphone 5c through Koodo. The ONLY color they had/still have are blue. And I would honestly rather black instead.

A friend suggested I VERY lightly sand the plastic blue parts and paint it the color I wish to have.

I'm just curious if this will void the warranty. I have a custom case but it still shows the blue, (And it looks horrible mixed with the black/red theme of the case.

It has been too long since I got this to trade it for another color. Or so I've been told.

Thanks!

Posted on May 5, 2015 2:51 AM

11 replies

May 5, 2015 2:57 AM in response to petermac87

I have a custom cover for it... It however does not cover all of the blue. I don't see the point in having to spend EVEN more money on a case that I won't use. Where I live there are literally 5 different cases for 5c and they all are very breakable and transparent...
I got this one ordered in, but you still see the blue.

And I would not be getting paint INSIDE the phone. I would use tools to make sure only the outer plastic part is painted only.

May 6, 2015 11:35 AM in response to Skitzen

I started a custom laser engraving company in 2007 for the purpose of engravinto iPads, iPhones.....indeed any electronic device. At that time I researched Apple's warranty very carefully. In 2007, making a mark on the outside of an Apple device is the same as getting a scratch on the outside of an Apple device. Getting a scratch on the outside of an Apple device, thank Logic itself, does not void the Apple warranty. As long as the serial number and model number of the device is readable and unmessed around with, the warranty remains in effect.

With my laser, I can engrave virtually the entire back of any Apple iPhone. I never touch the Apple logo, or the information Apple prints on the bottom: the serial number, the model number---anything else put there by Apple. As of this moment, I have not heard of anyone being denied warranty services because of any engraving I have ever done.

In my opinion, mask off the areas that Apple has printed and spray away. I know you'll cover all the holes so you won't get paint in your phone. Good luck.

May 6, 2015 11:37 AM in response to Skitzen

Skitzen wrote:

And I would not be getting paint INSIDE the phone. I would use tools to make sure only the outer plastic part is painted only.

Note that ANY sort of disassembly as part of painting it will certainly void the warranty. I agree that purely cosmetic changes will not inherently void the warranty, unless Apple later determines that some aspect of it caused damage to parts or function So you may potentially open yourself to problems of interpretation should you later need warranty service.

May 6, 2015 12:56 PM in response to ToledoZapper

ToledoZapper wrote:

As of this moment, I have not heard of anyone being denied warranty services because of any engraving I have ever done.

Has someone who has used your service and had their iPhones engraved actually brought in to Apple a device for warranty service? Or are you just assuming that because you haven't "heard" it happening it has not, when it might have.

May 14, 2015 10:59 AM in response to FelipeV

I am not assuming anything. To date, I have not had any of my customers come to me and say, "after you engraved something on my device, I needed to take it to get service from Apple or an Apple authorized warranty service center, and was denied coverage because my device was engraved."

The laser I use cannot penitrate metal (N.B. Laser engraving is a thermal process. It could, therefore, hypothetically, generate enough heat to damage an electronic device by melting the surface or things just beneath the surface. However, to do so would take a very long time using a 30-Watt laser like mine, and a lot of conscious effort. It would be like intentionally putting the device in a forge. I'm trained and experienced enough to avoid creating conditions that would wreck my customers' electronics. I have to be non-foolish. I guarentee my work.) Also, unlike traditional engraving machines, lasers cannot generate any static electricity, which could potentially harm electronics. Therefore, custom laser engraving is very cool, permanent, and not-harmful to electronic devices, if you take it to an experienced engraver who isn't out to get you. 🙂

Can I paint my Iphone 5c?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.