Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open Sans Condensed not rendering right

Hi community

I'm building a website using (partially) Google webfont 'Open Sans Condensed'. Also my website is in Greek.

In Chrome and Firefox the font is rendered correctly, in Safari it's not rendered at all.

On the iPad & iPhone (tested in Chrome & Safari) it only renders the latin characters right, the greek are not.

Any ideas???

Here's what it looks like:

User uploaded file

Posted on May 5, 2015 1:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 2:52 AM

UPDATE on the issue!!!

Several people with similar issues (in other forums) recommended this:

"If 'Open Sans Condensed' is installed on the computer, disable it in Font Book. Should solve the problem."

Result:

In fact it does effect the come out, but doesn't solve the problem!!!

Now Safari (desktop) renders the font the same way as the iPad (only latin characters are right) Greek is still not working.

I couldn't expect the visitors of my website to NOT have the font installed, also this solution wouldn't work on iPad anyway.

Any other suggestions?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2015 2:52 AM in response to c14agi

UPDATE on the issue!!!

Several people with similar issues (in other forums) recommended this:

"If 'Open Sans Condensed' is installed on the computer, disable it in Font Book. Should solve the problem."

Result:

In fact it does effect the come out, but doesn't solve the problem!!!

Now Safari (desktop) renders the font the same way as the iPad (only latin characters are right) Greek is still not working.

I couldn't expect the visitors of my website to NOT have the font installed, also this solution wouldn't work on iPad anyway.

Any other suggestions?

May 5, 2015 11:51 PM in response to c14agi

UPDATE on the issue!!!

In CSS I switched the font-family from:

font-family: 'Open Sans Condensed';

to

font-family: Open Sans Condensed !important;

This solved the issue on iPad & iPhone!

On desktop Safari the problem still occurs, IF the Font is installed on my system.

When I deactivate the font, everything looks PERFECT even in Safari.

So apparently the problem has to do with the installed font.

How can I "program" my page, so that Safari ignores the installed system fonts????

Jul 28, 2015 1:45 PM in response to c14agi

Hi c14agi,

I've found that embedding Open Sans Condensed via @font-face and uploading the fonts to your website took care of the problem with Open Sans Condensed not rendering in Safari when you have the font activated on your computer.

You can follow this article for including the font via @font-face and loading the font through your website (not google's): http://www.pvgr.eu/en/article/about-open-sans-condensed-from-google-web-fonts/ . Go the the "And what about local?" section.

Best,

:: Rachel

Dec 2, 2016 4:29 AM in response to c14agi

Hi c14agi! I don't know if you've solved the problem. I encountered the same with a Cyrillic Roboto Condensed I was working with. My site would render perfectly in Chrome and Firefox on web and mobile but when it came to Safari, I couldn't seem to get it to work. After tinkering for a while I realized I had forgotten to include the '&subset=cyrillic' when embedding the font. That solved it for me on all devices and in all browsers.

Open Sans Condensed not rendering right

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.