Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Triple boot - Problem with Windows Installation

Hello.

I'm trying to do a triple boot on my Macbook Pro 8,2 since two months ago and still not successful.

I can have two partitions with Mac OS and other with Kali Linux installed, but when I try to install windows it doesn't work.

What I made to install these partitions?

- Live CD into Linux

- Open gparted

- Delete all partitions

- Create three new partitions

- One for MAC OS with 100GB (filesystem: hfs+)

- One for Kali Linux with 100GB (filesystem: hfs+)

- One for Windows with 300GB (filesystem: ntfs)

- Boot into pen USB and install yosemite into MAC OS Partition

- When installed boot into Mac OS and install refind

- Restart and boot into live cd linux and install linux into Partition Kali Linux

- AT THIS POINT I HAVE MAC OS AND LINUX INSTALLED.

To install Windows I used Rufus on my desktop windows and used this configuration:

- partition scheme: GPT partition cheme for UEFI Computer

- Filesystem: NTFS

- And inserted the ISO

Now I inserted the USB pen drive into Mac and boot into USB.

Seems to everything is worked. I used the partition Windows to install and the installation is working.

When it reaches the end of the installation it shows me that the installation was cancelled and shows me a message like:

- Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed.

User uploaded file

What should I do to install windows on my MACBOOK?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011)

Posted on May 5, 2015 3:49 AM

13 replies

May 5, 2015 5:26 AM in response to ricreis394

You are attempting a science project that is far afield of the Apple Support Community assistance profile.

What I would do in your case, is wipe the drive and start over. Use OS X to single-partition your drive. Install OS X. Then, use Boot Camp in OS X to install Windows into its own additional Boot Camp partition. This is a dual-boot machine at this point. Then, pick your favorite virtual machine, and use that to create a guest account on OS X for that Linux distro. Now, you have a so-called standard installation where you can get support for OS X and Boot Camp here, and from that virtual machine forum. I don't see a stampede of assistance coming your way regarding rEFInd boot manager on the Apple Support Community, and frustrating time lost wasn't the goal here.

You may wish to upgrade your RAM to 8GB.

May 5, 2015 2:30 PM in response to ricreis394

I don't use Boot Camp, so would not be the best choice to debug this with you. What version of OS X, Boot Camp version, and Windows version are involved? That information is important for a solution.

When you respond with that information, I will ask the Hosts to move your post over to the Boot Camp community where you may receive more focused support.

May 5, 2015 3:36 PM in response to ricreis394

I have not exactly what you did. I do know...

Windows thinks that it should be the only os on the machine. You should install windows first.

In your first post, you seemed to have gotten mac os x and linux working. Windows failed.

What I would have done is re-run grub. This may have fixed the situation. Windows got confused because it saw another boot loader.

Do things the apple way. Install X. Install windows via boot camp. Install linux. Grub should short through the situation.

I suggest you consult the appropriate linux forum about triple booting.

May 5, 2015 3:50 PM in response to rccharles

I tried right installing Windows at first but it gives me another error, about the boot configuration, mentioned on the first post. Windows starts installing and at the end of the installation it stopped and cancels :/

I followed this tutorial, but still nothing.

http://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/2fy3be/by_popular_demand_my_better_than_boo tcamp_guide/

I don't have linux installed yet, but I know that linux doesn't have any trouble installing because I already installed it on my Mac. I simply create partitions only.

By the way, I have the most recent firmware version.

I'm desperate, no tutorials on Internet works for me ://

May 6, 2015 12:46 AM in response to Hiroto

I already tried installing Windows first.

Yesterday I made this:

- Boot into Windows Efi USB (made from bootcamp assistant)

- Open the command prompt and insert this commands

diskpart

select disk 0

clean

convert gpt

create partition efi size=200

format fs=fat32

create partition msr size=128

create partition primary size=102400

format fs=ntfs quick label=Windows

exit

- This series of commands will clean all the disk and create three new partitions (one for EFI, other for Windows reserved partition and other for windows partition)

- With this way I get the error about boot configuration at the end of the installation, and all the installation was cancelled.

May 6, 2015 10:43 AM in response to ricreis394

Now it seems that the bassic problem is to set up solo boot Windows 10 system on your MBP, not to mention duo or trio.

I have never step up Windows on OS X machine and I cannot help on it. But I'd use Disk Utility or diskutil(8) to prepare a FAT(FAT32) partition for Windows and boot from Windows intaller image to install Windows onto the partition and let the intaller format the partition as NTFS. I'm not sure it makes any difference or not, though.

Good luck,

H

Triple boot - Problem with Windows Installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.