Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration to Photos: Trouble with import from iPhoto Library

I have just upgraded to OS X Yosemite (10.10.3). When I first opened Photos, it wanted to convert my iPhoto Library to Photos. After some hours of working with the 165.2 GB iPhoto Library, it told me that I don't have enough disk space. I believed that if I free my MacBook Pro from those 165.2 GB, I might solve the problem. So yesterday, I stored it on an external USB drive (a solid state drive of OWC with USB 3.0 connection to my MacBook), deleted the iPhoto Library on my harddisk, and opened Photos. In Photos, I chose Menu > File >Import , and navigated to the external drive. However, clicking the file icon and name does not release into any import. What shall I do to import data from my iPhotos Libray?

Suggestions will be most appreciated and rewarded with a virtual box of Mozart Kugeln.

Erik Thau-Knudsen

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9), Upgraded to OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 5, 2015 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 6:44 AM

You don't import it, you simply open it:

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch Photos. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library'

7 replies

May 5, 2015 6:54 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you,Terence, this helped, although not completely.

What happened when I followed your advice, was that Photos converted the iPhoto Library to a Photos Library and left it in the same folder, i.e., on the external drive. Importing the photos from that location was as impossible as in the case with the iPhoto Library.

I then relaunched Photos while holding down the Option (= Alt) key, and from the menu of 'Choose Library' selected the Photos Library. The resulting window was empty, i.e., no photos were shown.

Will it make any sense to replace the existing .photoslibrary file at 4 GB on my internal hard drive with the 156.1 GB Photos Library on the external drive?

Erik Thau-Knudsen

Migration to Photos: Trouble with import from iPhoto Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.