Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Top end 5K iMac for video editing

Hello everyone, I am considering replacing my MacBook Pro 2011 with a top spec 5K iMac. I work with Aperture, edit 1080p videos in Final Cut Pro X, and do 3D animations in 3DS Max using Virtualbox. Will a top spec 5K iMac have the horsepower to complete these tasks, or will it struggle, considering that it has to power a 5K display? I also hope that the hardware is fairly future proof, as I plan on keeping this machine for at least 7 years.

Thanks a lot for your help

Posted on May 5, 2015 12:49 AM

11 replies

May 5, 2015 2:09 AM in response to moritzhberg

HI moritzhberg,

I would strongly suggest that you compare the 5K iMac to the Mac Pro. You appear to be a professional, using big programs for your work (video, animation, photography), which take up tons of storage and plenty of processing power. I worked professionally in prepress, which used a fraction of my resources compared to what your work takes. I retired 10 years ago and got an iMac which just died. BUT you are more likely to have a Mac Pro live 10 years than an iMac. But do your homework. I'd start with the people at the Apple Store. Or call them. See if you can add storage, processing power &.Memory on a Mac

pro. if so, it will probably be the one, if you can budget it I .

BTW, beware of Yosemite if you have huge photo libraries in Aperture. When they got rid of iPhoto (now just PHOTOS, like in iOS, it will convert all your iPhoto libraries. It will ALSO. without asking, Convert all your Aperture libraries. I am very unhappy about this; had I known I would have bought my iMac with Mavericks, but they will be gone soon.

May 5, 2015 2:22 AM in response to Andy Z 03

Hi Andy Z 03, thanks for your fast reply. I had considered the Mac Pro, but the i7 5K iMac has a faster CPU (compared to the quad core Mac Pro), and, from what I've heard, the upgraded GPU is equivalent to a single D500. And, of course, you get a 5K display with the iMac, which would add a significant chunk to the already very expensive Mac Pro.

Given how quickly the price rises when upgrading the Mac Pro (especially the 6 Core option with Dual D500 or D700), I think the top of the line 5K iMac is better suited for my budget. Now, knowing that the Mac Pro seems a bit steep, do you think the iMac will be able to handle the work described above?

To add some context to the budget situation, I'm a student, about to start my final year, so my budget is somewhat limited. But then if the Mac Pro will outlast the iMac, I guess it will be the wiser choice in the long run (even if it is more expensive).

Salspix, thanks for your insight. I upgraded to Yosemite when it was released, and have been very wary of Photos (haven't touched it). My library is backed up with Time Machine, so if Photos decides to convert my libraries, I can always restore the Aperture Version. Thanks for the warning though, I will be careful.

Thanks

May 5, 2015 7:45 AM in response to moritzhberg

Moritzhberg,

You are right about one thing, to my surprise, the Mobile Radeon M295X is about as powerful (a bit more) then a single desktop FirePro D500.

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+FirePro+D500/review

I have an upgraded iMac 5k, but i use it for gaming not video editing. She purrs along just fine with gaming. I even ran a modern gaming benchmark (bootcamped to Winders) here: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/ at 4k (Winders dont do 5k) and got a score of 4500+ which they call "High Performance" I thought it would fall over at 4k res in a modern 3d game.

I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but maybe help you gauge the video performance. But as you likely know, 3D gaming and video editing are completely different stories.

May 5, 2015 12:34 PM in response to moritzhberg

Salspix is mistaken in one aspect. Photos will ask to import one single iPhoto or Aperture library to create a Photos library. The only thing that happens to the original library is that it is flagged so that iPhoto will give a warning that Photos has taken a copy. (Aperture does something similar, I think; not sure.) You may plow ahead using iPhoto and/or Aperture, but changes made to a library by iPhoto/Aperture won't be seen by Photos and vice versa.

Additional libraries will not be imported unless and until you specifically open them with Photos.

May 21, 2015 1:33 AM in response to John0001

Hi John0001, thanks a lot for your reply.

Are you running Windows 7 or 8? I need to run Windows 7, because 3DS Max will not install on 8.1 for some reason. How is the scaling in windows? I have read multiple times now that Windows doesn't do 5K (as you said). How is 4K? Is it scaled to 100% so everything is tiny, or is it usable? Hopefully, 3DS Max will use proper scaling, and not show some elements at 100% and others at 200% (which I have read about some Adobe products).

If the scaling turns out to be a nightmare, I might jump to the 6 Core Mac Pro 1TB, 32GB, D500, and continue using my screen (LG EA93).

This is a really tough decision... As much as I know the Mac Pro to be an insane powerhouse (which will probably outlast the iMac), the 5K display is the main reason I want to go for the iMac...

May 21, 2015 3:33 AM in response to moritzhberg

Apple does a really good job /w bootcamp and scaling when running windows. I'm running winders 7. It does fine, BUT, text is blurry on the iMAC 5k. Again, the only thing I'm doing in bootcamped Winders is launching a 3d game, which works very well and it looks beautiful. But there is something up with it not able to do 5k and how text looks. It may not impact you If your only thing is images.

May 26, 2015 6:00 AM in response to John0001

Hi John0001, thanks for your reply. When running games in windows, how loud does the fan get? I don't know if you have any experience with non retina MacBook Pros, but the fan noise on them is very loud and annoying. How loud is the fan on the 5K iMac when running at full speed? Could you maybe post a video or audio clip so that I can see for myself please (it's hard to test in an Apple Store because of all the ambient noise)?

Thanks a lot for your help and support!

May 26, 2015 1:47 PM in response to moritzhberg

Sure thing, here you go, and the game is running at 1440p at decent settings. :

http://youtu.be/rP7GAFL87NM

Dead Silent!

Now, don't get me wrong, and after an hour or so or i do a raid or something the fan does at least kick on, but i'be never heard it go "rocket" loud. She just purrs along.

However, this is boot camped windows 7. My daughter plays Sims 3 on the mac, and the fan starts as soon as the game does. I think OS X is doing this on purpose, and "always" has the fan on when the GPU has any type of load. I'll know a lot more when the Mac client for my game is released next month.

May 26, 2015 2:07 PM in response to John0001

Hi John0001, thanks for the video. That really is dead silent! There was some white noise, but that could easily have been ambient noise, so the fan is hardly noticeable. The fact that you could hear air blowing into the mic when the camera was right behind the exhaust, meant that the fan was obviously running high.

Thanks a lot! It's really good to know that the iMac doesn't sound like a jet engine when under load.

Top end 5K iMac for video editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.