Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Fails at set point every time

Running Time Machine on an OX10 MacBook: Running an initial backup with Time Machine on an External Drive formatted as Extended, Journalled. Disk has passed disk verification test. At a fixed point in the "countdown" of data volume backed up the backup fails, with an error message asking me to check the external drive. I have done this repeatedly, and each time the disk has passed. I have also reformatted and started again twice, and still getting the error. I have also verified the internal drive on the MAC, and repaired permissions. All tests passed. Still, the error happens at that fixed point. Do we suspect the external drive regardless of it having passed tests, or is there anything else I can try?

Posted on May 5, 2015 2:54 AM

5 replies

May 5, 2015 7:28 AM in response to cprelude

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

In the top right corner of the Console window, there's a search box labeled Filter. Initially the words "String Matching" are shown in that box. Enter the word "Starting" (without the quotes.) You should now see log messages with the words "Starting * backup," where * represents any of the words "automatic," "manual," or "standard."

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Note the timestamp of the last "Starting" message that corresponds to the beginning of an abnormal backup. Now

CLEAR THE WORD "Starting" FROM THE TEXT FIELD

so that all messages are showing, and scroll back in the log to the time you noted. Select the messages timestamped from then until the end of the backup, or the end of the log if that's not clear. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

If all you see are messages that contain the word "Starting," you didn't clear the text field.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. Don't post more than is requested.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

May 5, 2015 4:25 PM in response to cprelude

The startup drive (not the backup drive) is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

May 5, 2015 4:29 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc, thanks very much for this information, and I think your diagnosis looks by far the most likely, after all the logs are pretty clear for all to see. However, just wondering if there any possibility that the errors might be being caused by a flakey USB cable between the laptop and the external drive? The only reason I ask is that the user has not experienced any problems recently at all with the Macbook. Only when doing this first-time backup did we notice a problem. I am also puzzled that the internal drive passed the verify check I used on it with Apple's own disk utility. But there again, I guess there could still be problems. I believe it is a flash drive, yes.

Best wishes,

Paul

Time Machine Fails at set point every time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.