Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't import iphoto to new Photos, asking for 1TB additional space?? common

Basiclay yestarday i decided to upgrade to new ISO, a big mistake, photos that i use for work are on my external harddrive iPhotos to which i can get access after upgrade.

I googled the problem and basiclay all i had to do is import iphoto to new Photos, sounds easy, except it takins so slow, im mean realy slow, anyway, leave computer over night on, to comback this monring it stuck on 8% and asking for addition 1 TB of space.

My questions is how to i downgrade it to old versión cos i need photos now.

where do i suspose to find extra 1 TB of space which i dont have, or i have to buy new hdd?? also how it come up with 1TB since my photos take half of that maybe more.... 😟

Its so silly to me, besucase seems like wasnt though throrowly for people who have big iphoto librarys

i would like to know if any solution here or i need new hdd? i use my passport ultra 2TB

best reagds

ps - i use macbook pro retina, os x yosemite 10.10.3

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 5, 2015 2:17 AM

12 replies

May 5, 2015 2:30 AM in response to schoolgirlbaba

googled the problem and basiclay all i had to do is import iphoto to new Photos, sounds easy, except it takins so slow, im mean realy slow, anyway,

How have you tried to do that?

You don't have to import iPhoto to Photos, you have to open she iPhoto Libray in Photos.

• Either drag the iPhoto Library (not the application) onto the Photos icon in the Dock.
  • Or launch Photos while holding down the alt/options key to select your iPhoto Library for migration.

Where i your iPhoto library stored? On an external drive or your system drive?

May 6, 2015 1:10 AM in response to schoolgirlbaba

yes iphoto library is stored on external hdd, WD My Passport Ultra 2TB

Probably Photos cannot write to external drive. Do you have the WD Smartware installed on that drive? Any WD software installed on that drive may be blocking the migration.

Is the drive correctly formatted to be used with MacOS X? If the drive is not formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled) and the Ignore Ownership on this volume flag set, Photos may not be able to create a migrated copy on this drive. The drive should be formatted like described here: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

Also, is your user account enabled as an administrator account? When I am trying to migrate a library on an external drive, Photos will prompt me for my admin password.

May 6, 2015 1:15 AM in response to schoolgirlbaba

3rd day no photos, no one can help at all?

Sorry for the late answer, but I could not see your posts in this discussion for some reason.

My questions is how to i downgrade it to old versión cos i need photos now.

iPhoto should still be installed. The migration simply removed the iPhoto icon from the Dock. Have you tried to launch iPhoto from the Applications folder?

• If you have iPhoto version 9.6.1 installed, it should work immediately.
  • If iPhoto is crossed out in Applications, update to iPhoto 9.6.1. Only, it is a little harder to update since Apple stopped selling iPhoto.

See this User Tip: Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3 https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8431

May 6, 2015 2:19 AM in response to léonie

Hello there,

I don't have any WD software installed on my external hdd.

Hdd is formated using disk utility to MS-Dos (fat32), have been using iphoto for over 3 years now and never had a problem.

When i try to laucnh Iphoto from external hdd it opens Photos and starts migration.

To me it seams like new Photos is copying or replacing iphoto library, thats why it fails on 8% because it is asking for 1TB ...

i had iphoto in aplicación before the update, i didint just simply removed it or moved it to external hdd, i specificied that i want my library stored on external hdd, always used it and updated it before...

I dont have permisions issue, or any sort of program thats blocking, because migración does starts its just fails because its asking for more space 😟

about users, if u mean am i administrator, yes im

May 6, 2015 11:33 AM in response to schoolgirlbaba

To me it seams like new Photos is copying or replacing iphoto library, thats why it fails on 8% because it is asking for 1TB ...

The migration should create the migrated library on the same drive as the iPhoto Library it is reading, but Photos cannot do it, because the drive is formatted MS-Dos (fat32).

When Photos migrates an iPhoto Library or an Aperture library, it creates hard links to the original image files to save space. This is not possible with the file system on your drive, and Photos cannot write the converted library on the MS-Dos (fat32) drive. That is probably the reason why it writes the library to your system drive,

Move your iPhoto Library to a correctly formatted drive with the file system Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then try to migrate again.

May 13, 2015 3:16 AM in response to léonie

i got sick for few days, coulldnt reply before

well its makes life more complicated for me, because i dont have additional space to save my iphoto library on diferent hdd, so i can change to mac os files system from ms-dos to journaled.

im very sad because iphoto worked fine before on ms-dos(fat32) and now u making me to change to mac journaled file system, which makes it hard because i need compatabilty with windows

so far since i updated, over a week i have no accses to my photos its unnacceptable 😠

bascicaly u cant help me and update simply wasnt though thru.. thats my opinion on this matter

May 13, 2015 3:46 AM in response to schoolgirlbaba

i got sick for few days, coulldnt reply before

I am sorry to hear that. I hope you are well again.

im very sad because iphoto worked fine before on ms-dos(fat32) and now u making me to change to mac journaled file system, which makes it hard because i need compatabilty with windows

You have had a lucky escape so far, because an iPhoto library on a ms-dos(fat32) drive is a disaster waiting to happen. It has not been supported by Apple for iPhoto libraries, because it can result in data loss.

See this link: iPhoto: Issues with FAT32-formatted drives

If you store your iPhoto library on a volume that is formatted as FAT32 (a file system commonly used on Windows PCs), you may encounter issues including poor performance or data loss.

Instead of reformatting the drive consider to buy a second one for the Photos library and keep your first drive for compatibility with Window.

May 13, 2015 4:57 AM in response to schoolgirlbaba

hhmm i never had issue with ms-dos and iphotos, havent lost anything...

As I said, you have had a lucky escape, but any run of good luck will be over one day 😁

The incompatible filesystem will cause filenames to be ambiguous, so you can overwrite or accidentally delete important photos. It may result in I/O errors that can prevent you from copying the iPhoto Library to a different drive - if you ever see "error -36", it may be caused by the unsupported file system.

can't import iphoto to new Photos, asking for 1TB additional space?? common

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.