Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi or Mail problems with MacBook

I have been noticing that I am having a lot of mail issues on the new MacBook, I kept "losing" accounts when using Mail (marked as offline). Didn't think much of it initially, but I have my 17" MacBook next to me and I wasn't have the same issues. I finally decided to switch from the 5 GHz network (dual band Apple Airport) to the 2.4 GHz band and still have the same problems.

And to be clear: there are no other wifi near by on the the channels I have chosen, I am in the same room very close to the airport, it is not a signal strength or collision issue. And the 17" MacBook using the same set up of accounts is NOT having any issues. But I do have 9 or so IMAP accounts, ranging from iCloud to gmail to a couple of private servers.

Anyone else notice this?

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 5, 2015 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2015 9:20 AM

Well since no one seems to have this issue I'll post what I have found if it comes up. I found this article:

http://meandmymac.net/2014/10/trouble-with-yosemite-mail/

Brief version: on each account under advanced settings TURN OFF automatically detect and maintain account settings. Whatever the programmers think this is was causing all manners of hang up in trying to synchronize IMAP accounts ranging from gmail, to icloud to our own MacOS X server and Exchange servers.

The minute I turned these off things have gotten better.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2015 9:20 AM in response to Edmund Pirali

Well since no one seems to have this issue I'll post what I have found if it comes up. I found this article:

http://meandmymac.net/2014/10/trouble-with-yosemite-mail/

Brief version: on each account under advanced settings TURN OFF automatically detect and maintain account settings. Whatever the programmers think this is was causing all manners of hang up in trying to synchronize IMAP accounts ranging from gmail, to icloud to our own MacOS X server and Exchange servers.

The minute I turned these off things have gotten better.

May 23, 2015 5:58 AM in response to Edmund Pirali

Ok I'll continue with this hoping it may be useful for others. I continue to have Mail reliability with MacBook/Yosemite and it is becoming a real issue. No matter how many times I have rebuild various mailboxes and changed settings it seems there are timeout or connection problems on the MacBook/Yosemite mail that I do not have at the same connection speeds with my MacBook 17/10.9 Mail.

Sadly this seems to follow the trend of diminishing software quality with each release of MacOS/iOS. Mail is one of the most fundamental uses of a laptop like the MacBook and as of right now with 8 IMAP accounts and a large iCloud stored set of messages it seems rather broken. I did not have these same issues with my MacBook Air 11 that was also running Yosemite.

Jul 31, 2015 4:14 AM in response to Edmund Pirali

I got a new MacBook 12" and I see the same problem. More often I have Wifi-Problems. From time to time some applications can't access the network. Most of then time the connection comes back after a few minutes. I've seen that in more than one Wifi network.

I've reset the SMC etc., but the Wifi problems are coming back after a day.

Currently I also see that Mail is losing connection to the iMap and exchange servers after some time.

Haven't found a solution for that yet....

Aug 6, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Edmund Pirali

Well three months on and here is my update from anther post:

My Mail has just gone from bad to worse with 10.10.4 on MacBook. The shift trick works WHEN Mail crashes on hanging on "opening mailbox" (I leave activity monitor open to see why I'm failing). If I don't hold shift and this happens Mail just gets stuck and trying to quit causes it to hang (need to force quit). Holding shift will allow Mail to get past this. But beyond this I have constant and intermittent connection problems with multiple IMAP accounts. And its not the server nor the connection. I have my mail accounts synced via iCloud, and the exact same connect and work perfectly in Mail on MBP 17" running 10.9.

I am really starting lose patience, this has been going on since I got the MacBook months ago. And 10.10.4 just made things worse. And there doesn't seem to be any fixes coming along. On a MacBook, which is only good for Mail and light surfing anyway, I can't use Mail reliably!

Aug 7, 2015 3:22 AM in response to apfelliebhaber

I work at a school and all 60 staff members use either MacBooks 2010 or MacBookPros 2012.

We have notice Yosemite to be a problem with Mail connection to the server.

We have reverted multiple macs back to Mountain Lion and found all these issues to dissolve after the installation.

I experience heavy delay on my imap account hosted on our local network, yet gmail will run at full speed - no issues.

We are migrating our Mail to Google Apps to evade this problem.

btw - If you noticed, Apple tried to fix this in update 10.10.4. I will say it helped, but just a tad, nothing worth writing home about.

Aug 13, 2015 12:03 PM in response to Edmund Pirali

Ok I have had it, I am done. Sorry about ranting, but I just updated to 10.10.5 (14F27) and upon first lauch Mail FROZE AGAIN and had to be force quit.

I've had my MacBook now for months, and if I can't use it for basic Mail I just want to send it back and get a refund. I'll go buy another MBA 11" which worked just fine, and load 10.9 and get back to using it as a travel computer.

I understand bugs in new machines/new OS, but not significant ones like this that just keep lingering month after month and release after release.

Aug 17, 2015 6:42 AM in response to Edmund Pirali

I'll post this in case anyone manages to find this thread when searching here:

Here is what I finally did: I gave up on Mail. I think I have same issue as you, I have a few IMAPs I use for work, and lots of messages and folder.

I just downloaded PostBox (third party app). It imported my mail settings painlessly. And it is incredibly fast on launch, checking all my e-mails. It is what Mail used to be and what you would think it should be. It is easily 10x faster than Mail in connecting and checking for messages. I have very little stick time, so can't really speak to all of its ups/downs, but it may be worth a look. Only things I miss right now is there is no clear activity display (which at this point I always leave open out of inherent fear of Mail freezing up). But it has a very cool quick move of messages by one keystroke that I use all the time for filing new messages/

And oh, obviously it does not hang or crash or keep showing all accounts offline!

Wi-Fi or Mail problems with MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.