Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 2015 12" or Macbook Pro Retina 13"

Hey Folks

Would like some help with choosing the right macbook. Last year, I bought a second hand macbook pro 13" retina with 128gig flash drive and was really happy about it. Sadly enough, last week someone spilled some coffee and the thing went to macbook-heaven.

Within a few weeks, the new Macbook 12" will be available here in Belgium and I'm really in doubt to buy it.

I compared the new Macbook with the Macbook Pro I had and I must say that the new macbook does not really overpower the macbook pro I had:

• In Belgium the new macbook 12" and the macbook pro have the same price: €1 449
  • Macbook Pro is 1" bigger than the new macbook
  • Macbook Pro's RAM is extendable up to 16GB, the new macbook only up to 8GB
  • Batterylife of the Pro also seems better than the new macbook (10hours compared to 9hours)
  • Pro has 2 thunderbolt gates, the new macbook none

It seems that the 'old' Macbook Pro is better on everything, compared with the new macbook, except it weights half a kilo more and is not as thin as the new macbook.

Am I right if I say I get more for the same price if I buy the Macbook Pro 13" or am I missing something?

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 5, 2015 1:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 7:34 AM

Am I right if I say I get more for the same price if I buy the Macbook Pro 13" or am I missing something?

Yes, the main trade-off is weight and size, followed by connectivity, and performance.

Please note that the MacBook Pro's RAM is upgradable only at the time of purchase. It, like that with the MacBook, is not user upgradable.

Neither are coffee proof.

Also, coffee spills are so common that keyboard replacement is one of the most requested repairs. You may want to get a repair quote on your original MacBook Pro.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2015 7:34 AM in response to Apoch8000

Yes, the main trade-off is weight and size, followed by connectivity, and performance.

Please note that the MacBook Pro's RAM is upgradable only at the time of purchase. It, like that with the MacBook, is not user upgradable.

Neither are coffee proof.

Also, coffee spills are so common that keyboard replacement is one of the most requested repairs. You may want to get a repair quote on your original MacBook Pro.

Macbook 2015 12" or Macbook Pro Retina 13"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.