Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Time Capsule has no IP address

I just moved to Massachusetts and the Comcast technician who installed my tv/phone/internet package did not install my time capsule properly, or so it seems. He said he would use a standard protocol for installing it but was not sure it would work. It didn't, and the orange light on the front of the time capsule has been flashing now for 48 hours. Also, through Airport Utility I learn it "has no IP address". I might mention the Bright House technician in Palm Coast (FL) and in the AT&T technician in Jacksonville had no trouble getting it to work

I hasten to add this may not be Comcast's fault. I dropped the time capsule from 3 feet onto the floor as I was taking it out of its box. I would be most grateful, assuming it survived the fall, if anyone could suggest how I might get it to work.

Regards.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 5, 2015 3:07 AM

7 replies

May 5, 2015 5:08 AM in response to Wharenu1

Reset it to factory and start again.

Make sure it is plugged into the main ATT router by ethernet to its WAN port.. ie the one with the circle symbol. (always nearest the power socket).

Now use airport utility and try again.. the airport utility on iOS device is more reliable than Yosemite.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

May 6, 2015 1:43 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for the advice. I tried the reset procedure several times. The TC made noises that sounded promising but resulted only in a steady blinking orange LED. On one occasion it blinked green for a split second but returned to orange. I followed the procedure you outlined carefully. I get a message that there is no DNS server. Any further advice will be welcomed.

May 6, 2015 3:29 PM in response to Wharenu1

What is the comcast modem? I need the actual make and model number please.

It sounds like the full gateway model.. does it have 4 ethernet ports.. and are you directly connecting to it to get internet??

It might also be helpful to know what model is your TC.. is it flat or tall one.. if flat give me the model number from the base.. A1xxx.

Are you able to do the setup with ipad or even iphone.. instead of yosemite which is the worst possible.

There are a few changes that might be necessary to make it reliable. The latest tall TC having various issues with cable modems.

May 9, 2015 1:05 PM in response to Wharenu1

Ok.. that is very helpful.. the Cisco model cable modem is also a router. Also called a gateway device.

The TC therefore must be in bridge mode..

Open the airport utility, click on the TC, and then edit.

User uploaded file

The most important setting is the Network.. go to the network tab and ensure it says bridge.. if not change it to bridge.

User uploaded file

It must also be set to dhcp on the internet tab, and create a wireless network on the wireless tab.

If all of that is setup correctly and you still have issues.. your TC (likely a tall AC one is not compatible with the cisco.. it happens a fair bit). Try plugging LAN of the Cisco to LAN of the TC.. in bridge there is no need to use the WAN port.. which is more problematic.

If everything looks ok.. start with the reset and try again.. post screenshots of airport utility showing the issues you are having.

May 10, 2015 5:04 AM in response to LaPastenague

The TC sprang into life yesterday after I tried a reset once more after a visit by a Comcast technician. I suspect the TC was not plugged into the right outlet. So, my dropping it seems not to have hurt it and it is doing all the right things again, including doing regular backups.

Thank you for the effort you have devoted to my problem. It is contributions from people like you that make Apple Support Communities such a vital resource.

Best wishes,

Neil

Airport Time Capsule has no IP address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.