Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swap 2 macs' contents with Time Capsule

I have 2 MacBook Pros with 500 GB storage space each, and both are backed up on my Time Capsule.

Information:

• Mac1 is 450/500 GB used
  • Mac2 is 160/500 GB used

I want to exchange the states of these macs, or rather have Mac1 become Mac2, and vice versa.

Here's what I am doing:

1. Mac1 - migration assistant, restore from "Time machine backup of Mac2".
    • I am in process of doing this; once this is done, both the Macs will be of the same state of Mac2.
    • My worry is, if step (2) is feasible? Are any of my assumptions wrong?
  2. Mac 2 - migration assistant, restore from "Time machine backup of Mac1".

Thanks,

Rahul

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Mac1 is mid 2014, Mac2 is mid 2012

Posted on May 5, 2015 3:50 AM

4 replies

May 5, 2015 5:01 AM in response to rahul.vagadiya

If you migrate both Macs to the other.. you will simply have all the files on both Macs.. and if you already have same user on each Mac with different files it will become a total mess.

Plus after a migrate please immediately change the name.. otherwise it will also mess up the backups.. assuming you have selected settings as well as files..

I think there are much better ways of achieving what you wanted.. and you are heading for a mess.

I hope you thought to protect the TM backup of each one.. please do not allow TM to backup until after you sort out the mess.. otherwise you will also smash your working backups.

May 5, 2015 5:58 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for your response LaPastenague Please advise if you can think of a better solution, cause this one just failed.

But, first, I'll provide more information:

• Mac1 is 450/500 GB used, new mac 13" late 2014
  • Mac2 is 160/500 GB used, old mac 15" mid 2012
  • Both macs are of 500 gb storage and on OS X Yosemite.
  • Both macs have a different user account associated with it.
  • Both macs are backed up on a 2TB Time Machine from a long time.
  • I am using Mac2 right now and I want to move to the Mac1 (newer one), but Mac1 is also being used since few months at my home so it has important data. I want to swap them so I can use Mac1 with Mac2's state, and I will give my Mac2 for use at home with Mac1's state.
  • You can understand from this, that I want to restore everything - settings, files, data, whatever.
  • Yes, I have switched off automatic time machine backups from both devices, and even when it's back on I will (try to) ensure I don't mess the backups.

I hope this information helps to devise a solution for me. 🙂

Please let me know if I can provide more information.

My attempted method:

1. Restore Mac2 time machine backup on Mac1: Which means 450 gb of data from Mac1 will be replaced with 160 gb of data from time machine backup of Mac2.
  2. At this point, Mac2 and Mac1 both should be having the same state of Mac2, so I should have 2 systems with my data.
  3. Next, I would restore Mac1 time machine backup on Mac2: Which means 160gb of data on Mac2 will be replaced with 450 gb of data from time machine backup of Mac1.
  4. At this point, in a happy world, I should have accomplished what I wanted to. I am not sure how the time machine will work after this point, because it will continue adding new state's backup over the old state, coz it follows computer name. Maybe I could change computer name to fix this (I think this is what you suggested), but this is not my worry because I can start freshly backing up as long as the original issue is resolved.

My method failed face down with step 1 itself, it said there is not enough storage to restore the backup. 😐 I don't understand why, maybe it wants to restore first then delete the rest? Should I clear the 450gb completely (format) before restoring the 160gb?

However, I am very much open to another method to go about.

Sorry for the long explanation. I hope, and believe, this can get done easier ways.

Any help would be appreciated.

May 6, 2015 12:03 PM in response to rahul.vagadiya

Assuming you are back to where you started..

• Mac1 is 450/500 GB used, new mac 13" late 2014
  • Mac2 is 160/500 GB used, old mac 15" mid 2012

Method 1.

Make a clean TM backup of each computer. I strongly recommend you get a 1TB or larger USB and partition it.. so you have two 500GB at least and then make the clean TM backup of Mac1 to partition1 and Mac2 to partition 2. leave your existing TM backup on the TC alone. That is your failsafe.

(I would also create clones of each computer using Carbon Copy Cloner which you can run free for a month.. so if you get into deep trouble you can simply restore the clone).

Then clean install the OS on both laptops. Once that is finished.. migrate the whole lot from its opposite number using Time Machine.

This is the best way I can think of that gives you all the right drivers and clean installs you need on both computers.

I strongly recommend you buy a software .. carbon copy cloner. It is not expensive and you don't even have to pay for the license to do what you need. It has one month free trial if you want.

Method 2.

CCC has the ability to make a bootable clone. So simply clone Mac1 Once you are finished.. It will take a few hours.. not too long being USB3 and of course you will buy a USB3 disk.. test boot Mac 2 from the clone instead of the internal disk. This may or may not work.. but I have tested it and within a certain range of releases it will work.. I think 2012 to 2014 it is worth a go.. if it works then you can simply copy the clone to the Mac2 hard disk same as you copied to the clone to the USB drive. For Mac1 do the clean install as suggested and migrate the files from Mac2 TM backup.

Think carefully and make sure you have multiple methods of getting back to where you started from.

If Macs were built with removable hard disks as all other laptops in the world have you could have just swapped drives.. but you have effectively done the same thing.

Swap 2 macs' contents with Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.