Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook won't turn on! HELP!!!

Hi! I was recently using my MacBook Pro and it shut down. When I went to charge it the light turned green and slowly faded away to a faint orange and yellow flickering light. The side battery indicator wont show any dots and the Macbook is unresponsive to any keys or even the power button. Also, when I press my ear against the charger port for my laptop with it being plugged I hear a slight ticking noise and a sound similar to when you open a gas oven.

is there anyway to fix this besides going to the Apple Store as it is quite far away! Thank you very much.

Posted on May 5, 2015 4:14 AM

2 replies

May 5, 2015 7:08 AM in response to Esstar

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities

Unfortunately this is a problem with the hard drive. I call it the "Click of Death". This happens with the read head in the hard drive gets stuck and cannot move. You will need to get a new hard drive for your computer and reinstall all your applications. Hopefully you have a backup. You can call Apple at (800) 692-7753 for more assistance.

-Zeph

May 5, 2015 8:25 AM in response to Esstar

It will make it easier to help you w/ your problem to know know more information about your computer; size, exact year built, RAM installed and OS you're running. Any history prior to your incident would also be helpful.

"I was recently using my MacBook Pro and it shut down. When I went to charge it the light turned green and slowly faded away to a faint orange and yellow flickering light. The side battery indicator wont show any dots"

Try a known good charger.

Possible battery problem.

Try this:

Reset SMC

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Try a hard reset. Disconnect the battery (open the bottom and pull the connector off. Use your fingernails.) and power adapter. Press the power button for 1 minute. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes, Reconnect and try to start up.

No? - Go through the same procedure and try to start without the battery connected.

The addendum to this would be to try a known good battery.

This would be for a "no start" scenario but basically it's the SMC reset w/ a battery you can remove.

MacBook won't turn on! HELP!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.