Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Partitioning the same as reformatting ?

Hi there,

I am still on Maverick running FCPX 10.1.

I have install both Yosemite and FCPX 10.2 in a 3TB External Hard Drive and they worked fine. However, when I boot up to run Yosemite from the external hard drive, it cannot detect my Drobo external harddisk and also cannot detect my Adobe CC.

Technicians from Drobo said that the problem MAY (meaning they think it is but not very sure) be because my Yosemite is on the external hard drive instead of booting up from internal fusion drive.

Since, my Drobo contained years of data, I do not want straight away replace the Maverick totally and risk it not being able to be detected by Yosemite even if I boot up from internal fusion drive.

I am trying to test both the Yosemite and FCPX 10.2 by installing them in the internal fusion drive to see if they are working. So, I am going to partition my internal fusion drive to 2 partitions, one running the existing Maverick and one to install the new Yosemite just as show in this one min forty secs video shown courtesy by Ian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2M-RCc3Qgs

So, my fear is that after clicking ok, will it create 2 partitions with blank content ? Meaning like reformatting the internal fusion drive into 2 partitions ?

Or will it create as I intended, ie to I have my original Maverick in one partition while another blank partition for me to install Yosemite in the next step ?

Sorry to type such a long description just to ask a simple question.

Thank you very much.

Cheers

15.4, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 27" iMac - 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 1GB ATI Radeon HD, i5 QuadCore

Posted on May 5, 2015 7:08 AM

34 replies

May 5, 2015 7:56 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian R. Brown wrote:

How big is your fusion hard drive and how much do you want to use for the new partition?

Thanks Ian.

My fusion drive is 3TB. I am thinking maybe use 30GB for the new partition ? 30GB should be enough for Yosemite, to be installed right ?

Thanks also to Neil & Russ for your confirmation. That is reassuring ... thanks again

But another question for closure. The video did not show the part where later I have to delete the Yosemite partition and restore it back to 1 partition with Maverick inside it. How do I get rid of the Yosemite partition later on without deleting the Maverick partition ?

Thanks again

May 5, 2015 7:47 AM in response to RyanManUtd

On another thread, I've asked to tell us how the drobo is connected, but I don't remember seeing your answer.

So I ask again, is this connected through the network? FW800? What?

I strongly feel that the idea of copying the system to the internal drive is not going to solve anything.

Does the Drobo require some sort of driver or other software? If so, then the obvious explanation is that it was not installed...

May 5, 2015 7:54 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

On another thread, I've asked to tell us how the drobo is connected, but I don't remember seeing your answer.

So I ask again, is this connected through the network? FW800? What?

I strongly feel that the idea of copying the system to the internal drive is not going to solve anything.

Does the Drobo require some sort of driver or other software? If so, then the obvious explanation is that it was not installed...

Thanks Luis,

My Drobo 5D is connected to the Thunderbolt port.

The Technicians from Drobo said that the problem MAY be bcos I was booting up from an external drive, though he was not entirely sure.

For your info, both my Drobo Dashboard and firmware are already the latest version.

Any tips ?

Thanks

May 5, 2015 7:57 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian R. Brown wrote:

Re your Drobo (whatever that might be) hard disk not appearing.

In an earlier post somebody told you to check that the new operating system you installed was configured to display all connected hard drives on the Desktop.

Have you done that?

If not, here's how . . . . make sure there is a tick next to "External Disks"

User uploaded file

Hi Ian, that was done ... my other external harddisk can be detected but not the Drobo ...

Is Partitioning the same as reformatting ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.