Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant cannot find Time Machine Back up

Took my MacBook Pro in yesterday to have it looked and found out hard drive was failing. Had already backed up via Time Machine onto my iomega external drive before I took my laptop to Apple store. I have been backing up for several years to the iomega drive. Got my MacBook Pro back today, and brought it home--awesome work by Apple store, even had it done yesterday before I made it back home from dropping it off.

So, here is the deal, turned it on, went through the steps required and got to the migration part. It recognizes that my iomega drive is connected to the laptop as the icon is on my desktop. However, the migration assistance cannot find the drive and just keeps spinning. Any suggestions before I set up another genius bar appointment?

Thanks

Michael

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 5, 2015 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 8:08 AM

Are you using Setup Assistant which is used during the OS install process?

Or are you using Migration Assistant which is done after the installation is complete?

If Migration Assistant can you access the TM backup disk and look at the data?

Also see:

http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

6 replies

May 5, 2015 8:34 AM in response to THEBIGO

I am a huge believer in multiple backup sets.

You said you have used this drive for years.

TimeMachine backups fail, drives fail, and your old drive needed to be replaced (I would have gone for a new SSD replacement)

When was the last time you tried using TimeMachine to do a restore? even a practice data recovery is helpful.

By changing out the drive maybe the drive name or ID has changed such that restoring cannot be done.

For me a straight backup clone - one that can be booted from and used as a functional system - is a must.

http://www.bombich.com

and can be used by Setup and Migration Assistant also...

Pick up a drive online.

And I would retire the Iomega if it is bus-powered or 3+ years old

May 5, 2015 9:38 AM in response to lllaass

lllaass,

When I turned on the laptop after bringing it home from the Apple Store I tried via set up assistant and it was not able to see the back up. I then went through the rest of the set up and then tried via migration assistant. It just spins and says searching. I can see the iomega icon on my desktop...

Hatter,

I hear you. I did a restore way back when I bought the MacBook Pro and have not done a restore since then.... I think you are right in that something changed with the new hd drive being installed. I agree on getting a new external drive. Seems that if Time Machine backed up my laptop on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday before I took the laptop in that the iomega drive would still be functioning. I can access it and see folders and files on it so at least that has not failed.

thanks for the help.

Michael

Migration Assistant cannot find Time Machine Back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.